Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many game CDs do I need to multiplay on home lan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many game CDs do I need to multiplay on home lan?

I have Civ III and just bought C3C online (will arrive shorty...mwhahaha!). I used to play C2 with my wife on our home lan for hours on end. With one copy of C3 and one copy of C3C, will we be able to play multiplayer together or will we have to buy another C3 or another C3C? BTW, we don't have PTW.

I asked this a long time ago before PTW came out, but we never got around to getting it and now with this most excellent expansion, we are ready to battle it out.

Otiosis locus hic non est, discede morator!

Afaik you only need the CD to get past the verification at the start. If you fully load the game on one comp and then switch the C3C CD to the other comp to load that one as well. Both comps should run the game.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Yes, Snotty is correct - at least as far as I know how PTW works. My partner and I tried a LAN game using only one copy of PTW and it worked just fine, so I imagine the same would be true for Conquests. I haven't gotten around to trying it with Conquests yet though.

Comment

Thank you! Anyone know for sure?

Also, what does REX mean? I see it used a lot here.

Comment

1 cd to play. i've done it before in dire straits.

although, one of us needed the CD to join a multiplayer game. dunno why, but he always got the CD when everyone else was loaded up.

keep in mind, everyone there legally owned conquests, we just had an impromptu civlan with laptops i'm not exactly sure how the licences work for conquests, but it's traditionally "one cd, one machine"
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Hrafn
            Also, what does REX mean? I see it used a lot here.
            If I'm not mistaken REX = Rapid Early EXpansion
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

yes. thats what rex means. it's essentially massive expansion via massive settler production.

sadly, it's a major part of civ
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

There is an excellent essay on REX in the strat forum :-

The main write up is on the second page, but there are plenty of thoughts on it in the first.

Comment

Isn't REX'ing the same thing as ICS in Civ2?
                  signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I thought ICS refered to the city spacing (city-tile-city).

Comment

Well, I guess I will find out fairly soon...I never liked the one CD one machine thing---especially for those of us with a few machines wired throughout the house.

Comment

that's why you mount a disc image...
                        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                          I thought ICS refered to the city spacing (city-tile-city).
                          infinite city sleaze !!!!
                          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I don't know what a disk image is...and I am fairly versed in computer lore...

Help?

Comment

a disc image is a file with, well, an image of the disc. it's got all the data, and you can then use a program such as daemon tools to mount it in a virtual drive. they're great for games with damn fool copy protection - i hate listening to my cdrom drives spin up, and hell, games install a LOT faster off an hd than off a cd

it's simply a matter of using a program such as clonecd to rip an image, and then mounting it in daemontools or virtual clone drive or what have you. you can even mount said image over the network.

you *should* still have a license for each user, mind you.
                              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Working...
                              X