Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Civ III without the CD

Is this possible?
    I tried this: I copied the contents of the CD to a folder on my hard drive, and then changed the registry key "CD_Path" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III" to the folder where I copied the CD, but this doesn't work - the game still asks for the CD. I'm annoyed by having to have the CD in the drive, and by the drive spinning up constantly and making noise. Is there any way how I don't have to use the CD?

Thanks,

Ivan
    Ivan - ivanbuto2@yahoo.com

I use Alcohol120 to make all my games run on a virtual drive and never have to use the real CD. This works fine for CivIII, PTW and C3C.

Comment

Yes, I know there is some software available that creates virtual CDs, but is there any way how to do this without extra software?

Comment

Originally posted by ivanbuto
        Yes, I know there is some software available that creates virtual CDs, but is there any way how to do this without extra software?
        Unfortunately, no. Civ3 actually doesn't need the CD if you did a full install; the reason Civ3 demands the CD is for the copy protection software, which checks that you have an original non-pirated CD.

However, there is such a thing as a "no-CD" patch which disables this CD check. Try contacting Atari customer service for it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.
          I'm also wondering about the following: My Civ3 CD has a couple of unreadable sectors at the beginning of the disc (according to Nero CDSpeed). Is this normal and is this also some kind of a protection? (The game installed fine and it's also possible to copy all of the files from the CD to the hard drive, so it doesn't seem that there is anything actually unreadable.)
          Thanks,

Ivan

Comment

Yes this SecuRom 4.8.x at work.

Comment

it is illegal and wrong to use pirated versions of the game. However for those legitimate users who {like me} hate having to dig CD's out all the time and don't have the space to load all CD's onto HD, I DO have a no-cd crack for PTW 1.27f. If you need it contact me and be prepared to convince me you have a legit copy.
              <>---Cyber-Spyder---<>

weaving webs within the web...

Comment

Hi guys, i was just wonderin what the name of the civ3 CD is?
                I.e. What appears under ( D: ) in windows explorer.
                I am quite sure i have lost the CD, however i will endeavor to find it, i seem to have gotten used to keeping all my .iso s locked away on my HDD.
                I cant seem to find it anywhere and i think this is the problem when it says that it cant find the CD. Im using Virtual CD software (Deamon) that is why.
                I have chosen not to download the CD Crack because that sucks ?! (I do however have a place to get the crack, im choosing not to warez it.)
                Just wanted to know, because i took a CD image of the Civ CD (i do this for every game and chuck CDs), and its called something like 000_0E7C.iso . thnx guys.

Andy.
                Last edited by Andy_dean; December 18, 2003, 18:23.

Comment

[ming]
                  Apolyton does not support or condone the illegal use of software. The publisher of Civ III has NOT authorized a no cd crack... so any discussion on this topic constitutes illegal use of software.
                  [/ming]

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

i guess you didnt read what i said, in bold for you....

All i need is the name of the cd. ill get the CD crack if there isnt any help on these help forums.

It will take you a whole 10 seconds....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_dean
                      Hi guys, i was just wonderin what the name of the civ3 CD is?
                      vanilla Civ3: disk name under Explorer is CIV3, (Volume) Serial Number is E4CF-0957
                      Civ3 PtW: disk name under Explorer is CIV3PTW, (Volume) Serial Number is F5C3-B235

Not sure which one of those two details you need to know (and before someone starts thinking... the volume serial numbers have nothing to do with copy protection, they are merely randomly generated number identifying the CD (diskettes & harddisks use the same volume serial number - it is displayed with the "dir" command).

Mind you... these are for the US versions, European prints will most likely have different label/number.

Comment

Thanks for that, thats what i mean, the name (not the volume number but thnx anyway.
                        It now seems to say its out of range...hmmz.
                        Last edited by Andy_dean; December 20, 2003, 06:49.

Comment

Thanks for that, thats what i mean, the name (not the volume number but thnx anyway.
                          I couldnt seem to get the CD name to work ?! :< so i tried a CD Crack, and that bypasses that issue.
                          It now seems to say its out of range...hmmz.

(AMD1700+, 196SDRam, Geforce2 Titanium. Went for the latest drivers @ nVidia's website still doesnt seem to cure.

Comment

Um, maby someone could help me with a similar prob.. i installed C3C without any probs but when im trying to run it, it says i must insert the CD in the drive :S
                            and it's bought, and NOT copied.. and i got both Civ3 & civ3Ptw installed which both works fine.. so could i get it to load without the silly cd as it seems to be something wrong with it..? or any other suggestions?
                            Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                            Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

nvm.. :-) E_T saved me! i already had the orginal PTW installed, which messed things up quite a lot :-)
                              Proud member of the PNY Brigade
                              Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

Working...
                              X