X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free = three

Comment

what, tree ?
      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

Its amazing how many people mis-spell medieval

just do a search on Medeival on google, and you'll see what I mean.
        "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

LOL!

This thread's typo fascism level is increasing!
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

BTW. How could he see the typos when they were IN the cover??

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
              BTW. How could he see the typos when they were IN the cover??
              I said they were ON the cover.

Oh, and btw, my cover is printed in color, or is it in colour?
              It's not BWhite, that's for sure :-)

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                Its amazing how many people mis-spell medieval

just do a search on Medeival on google, and you'll see what I mean.
                Interestingly, misspelling most words gets you far fewer results, but often more pertinent ones.

Comment

ha ha .. so true .. Ive seen this a few times also, however, I do like the way Google asked me if I meant "Medieval" and not Medeival ..

Comment

Nproenca,

It's 'colour' in English, 'color' in American.
                    "It might be a good idea." -- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western Civilization.

Comment

so, it's color.

limey brits.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer mediaeval.

Of course "color" is an English spelling that travelled to the colonies before a major French incursion influenced English in England.

To get more up to date, civilization is still the legitimate English (UK) spelling. Dictionaries recognize civilisation as an alternative, but it is only in tha last twenty years that the English have started to make the false assumption that the z is particularly American and have begun to reject it here. And it is the advent of the ubiquitous spell-checker and its deference to this misconception that has accelerated the loss of z in many English words.

I see at least one typographical error above. this medium lends itself to such. Lifeistooshort!
                        It is very dangerous to leap a chasm in two bounds

Comment

Interesting .. I must confess .. I didn't know that, and had simply assumed that the American's had a 'Z' fetish ..

Comment

There is a whole range of words that can legitimately end in -ise or -ize in English. Dictionaries traditionally have given preference to -ize up to and including Chambers 21st Century (in1999! the most recent one I have referenced). This is true for the whole English speaking world with the exception of the USA where the -ize is considered manadatory. (of course, there is also a list of words for which -ise is mandatory throughout, but it is a smaller list). The -ize preference is to do with the Greek root words and endings and is therefore not arbitray.

However, English is a living language and there is a clear drift away from -ize at least in the UK, largely for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I rather hope that it will be a long time, if ever, before the -ize actually becomes obsolete, but the false perception that it is an American thing is growing rapidly and it is having a strong influence in this country.
                            It is very dangerous to leap a chasm in two bounds

Comment

Working...
                            X