No announcement yet.

On the Agricultural trait.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have Conquests yet but starting with one extra food will make a significant difference to ones ability to REX. I say this on the basis of a little experiment I tried with Civ3.

I played a game with a cow in my starting location. I edited the map so the cow would be on a bonus grassland square and the addition of that extra starting shield made a most noticeable difference to the resulting power of my civilisation.

I wondered if an extra food would be better than an extra starting shield so edited the map again and replayed it. Once again the difference was very noticeable. (The food is probably better but I built my granary faster with the extra shield so I am not certain which is better.)

On the basis of this I would say that Agricultural will be extremely powerful with a river start, particularly if there are more suitable city sites on rivers nearby. Throw in half price aqueducts and the food bonus when you get out of despotism and you get an overpowered civilisation. What if you also started with Pottery? yikes!

OTH If there is no freshwater anywhere nearby one may be better off with some other trait instead of agricultural although the cheap aqueduct and food bonus will come when you eventually get out of despotism.

I think that, depending upon your starting position and surrounding terrain, agricultural could be anything from grossly overpowered to somewhat weak.

Comment

Agricultural is never "weak".

Once you switch to Monarchy or Republic (or Feudalism...), all your cities get the +1 Food in the city-centre tile, which helps get to very high pop very quickly when coupled with half-price Aqueducts. Those two abilities alone are trait-worthy.

Dominae
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

What if you also started with Pottery? yikes!
        This is a non-issue. 99.999999% of the time, no matter what Civ I play, I start out by researching Pottery at 100% and a build queue of Warrior-Warrior-Granary(sometimes have to use a prebuild)-Settler.

I think ultra-early granaries are at least as overpowered as Agriculture. Combined, it's early growth far beyond even the most rabid REXer, and the AI just can't cope.
        Nerf granaries!
        "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Working...
        X