C3C Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3C Multiplayer

Why is it that I get a ping that is much higher than in other games in C3C?

a friend and myself who both live in the same city and we have a broadband connection tried to play and our ping was around 500, mine went up to 2000 sometimes and when I other games i usually have a ping between 20 and 100 depending on the location of the server...

needless to say our game wasn´t a pleasant experience...
    You saw what you wanted
    You took what you saw
    We know how you did it
    Your method equals wipe out

Civ3 MP is quite shabby :/

Comment

My brain can´t figure out how a TBS can be THAT slow...
      You saw what you wanted
      You took what you saw
      We know how you did it
      Your method equals wipe out

Comment

I don't know why you're having such a huge problem. MP is much improved from PTW and most players are having very pleasant experiences with it. But it still uses Directplay so any old drivers(non-directx compliant) or firewall/router issues are still going to cause you problems.

CS
        Last edited by CanuckSoldier; November 23, 2003, 16:23.
        Global Admin/Owner
        Civilization Players Leagues
        www.civplayers.com
        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by Fatwreck
          My brain can´t figure out how a TBS can be THAT slow...
          Onbe in-game action = one packet of info sent. Shooters and RTS work different they don't ahve to send a packet every timr you do soemthing so they can "catch up".

Comment

Yes, in a TBS, ALL data from every player(Civ is a peer to peer network game) has to be sent every turn. If just one player has a weak conection the whole game suffers. If two players computers send data that is different(because of lag or anything else) you get a OOS (Out of Sync).

In a FFS(first person shooter) for instance if some info about player data gets lost the game just fills it in on the fly. In a FFS, it doesn't matter if a players position is a couple feet off, or the scenery isn't exact. In a TBS this is critical.

CS
            Global Admin/Owner
            Civilization Players Leagues
            www.civplayers.com
            http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

DP sorry

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier
                In a FFS, it doesn't matter if a players position is a couple feet off, or the scenery isn't exact.
                Definately does matter. But like you said- FPS games have better prediction, and just better netcode all around.

FPS gamers tend to shoot for broadband connections too, which helps. There's probably a lot of factors that are causing C3C to have poor net performance.

Comment

Working...
                X