I'm Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Confused

I thought the new rule with bombardment was that if you are bombarding a city that has units in it, it will ALWAYS attack those units first. Meaning that you have no chance of damaging infastructure in the city as long as their are units in it. Well, this has held true throughout all of my C3C playing so far. However, yesterday when I was attacking a French city that had 2 completely healthy units in it I destroyed a Library with my Trebuchet. Then on the next turn with the same 2 completely healthy units I destroyed their Forbidden Palace. I might have misunderstood the changes made to C3C, but I thought there was no way under those circumstances infastructure could be destroyed.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

This is strange... has anyone been running any tests??

Comment

Check out the bug thread - it has been reported there bombardment first took down the Palace, then a Temple, then the Great Wall with no hp damage to any defender!

It seems apparent that there is some check that is done first with bombardment - perhaps if there is a Palace, FP, Walls or a Wonder there that improvements are targetted first always, otherwise units first always.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Did you have the great wall TW? One of the suggestions was that since e.g catapult bombardment still aims at city walls first (before units), the great wall is introducing some kind of bug where the bombardment looks to destory the city walls which aren't actually there, and so trashes something else in the city. If you don't have the GW, then it is worth mentioning it in the bugs thread seperately.

Comment

Just checked this in a small test - if the city has Walls, whether due to individual Walls or the Great Wall, improvements ARE targetted first until the Walls are gone. Thus if it is a city relying on the GW, every improvement in it will be eventually killed BEFORE targetting units. In my test, cities lost the Palace and Pyramids where there was no source for the Walls to be targetted.

BUG!
          Consul.

Comment

How does something like that get through testing?? Was it a last minute change, or did they forget/neglect to do some negative tests? Or what?

Add this one to the list of "must haves" before I'm really satisfied with this game.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Interesting additional note.... in my highly non-realistic test I found out that (in a PBEM at least), if you take down the Palace then the city that HAD the palace still functions as if it had the Palace, although the culture you would get from the Palace is no longer there.

WEIRD!!!! :lol;
              Consul.

Comment

if the city has Walls, whether due to individual Walls or the Great Wall, improvements ARE targetted first until the Walls are gone.
                Checking to make sure the city I attacked did have walls in it. Personally I think this only makes walls in a city a detrement to the city. I know when defending one of my city's I would rather have my units lose one damage than lose my FP or a library. I'm thinking I might just disable the Great Wall and City Walls being built until this can be solved by a patch.

Also, MrWhereItsAt, your last test on the Palace I think was discovered a long time ago in original civ3. I don't think that the code for it can be changed easily, and that's why it's still there. Which then would mean ever rebuilding a palace when destroyed is useless outside of the culture aspect of it. Hmmm...
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins

I'm thinking I might just disable the Great Wall and City Walls being built until this can be solved by a patch.
                  Walls work properly. It's only the great wall that messes up things.

Comment

Walls work properly.
                    Well, I was going by what MrWhereItsAt said. That whether it's due to individual walls or the Great Wall. I know myself I only have proof of it being the Great Wall, though. If it is only the Great Wall, then I would simply take out the adding of city walls in the cities and reducing the price of it significantly, or take out the Great Wall completely like I mentioned previously.

Comment

Ah, another player runs into this (rather funny, to me) bug. Welcome!

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This is the first I'm hearing of this bug. Interesting.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Is it that bad?

I like getting rid of walls.

Comment

The only thing good about not being able to buy C3C now is the fact that when I manage to buy it, there will be a patch to fix these things.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I can imagine that is one bugger of a bug to fix...I suppose they would have to apply it to any improvement conferred by a wonder.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X