X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Originally posted by notyoueither
    Reversing this advantage...

I sent obsolete units to die vs the jav chuckers. Then I would kill the jav chuckers to get my workers back.
    Did they become full-fledged card-holding members of your civ, or did they trade slavery under the Mayans for slavery under your mighty paw?
    So...any answer here?
    I'll let NYE answer definitively since he has direct experience . . . but I watched an enemy civ recapture some enslaved workers when I was playing the Mayans and the graphic changed from slave worker to native worker for them. Take that for what it's worth though, as NYE has also reported a bug with the slave vs. native worker graphics.

Catt

Comment

For what it's worth, I think enslavement is not too strong. After all, most warmongers are going to end up with more slaves than they know what to do with anyway...enslaving them is just a more fun way to go about it.

Comment

You may be right. The shelve life the Jav is not all that long anyway and you pay a big price by going to GA so soon.

Comment

I've gone in and modded all the foot-soldier type units in the ancient age, up through Pikeman to have this same enslave / worker capability. - Frankly - I think it's a win-win mod all around (except for the slave of course). - The AI seems to finally have enough workers to get some serious attention to tile improvements all around. - I'll post again after this game ends - Time will tell - (I usually beat the AI's to full RR by 50-100 turns, even when I'm behind in tech - I'll use that as a comparison)

Later

Kevin
          ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

So...any answer here?
            they're yours. i've had it done to me by the AI, and they were their native workers.

when you take it, it says Worker (Inca), and when they take it back, it goes native.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

the whole point behind the jav is that it's too expensive to archer rush with effectively, and too weak to fight a late war with. so, for the short time it's good for a real war, you're weaker than your enemy, but have the enslavement.

but since barbs don't advance, farm away.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I played as the Maya last night.

Those Jav guys cost 30 shields, first of all. Second, my Jav won 10-15 battles against barbs, and enslaved exactly ONE worker. If there had been more open land and I'd gotten some uprisings, I would have gotten a few more. But I was REXing like mad (mmm, Agricultural, mmm) and filled up the land before that happened.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  I played as the Maya last night.

Those Jav guys cost 30 shields, first of all. Second, my Jav won 10-15 battles against barbs, and enslaved exactly ONE worker. If there had been more open land and I'd gotten some uprisings, I would have gotten a few more. But I was REXing like mad (mmm, Agricultural, mmm) and filled up the land before that happened.

-Arrian
                  you have to farm them to get the most out of them. find a camp near a jungle, and box it in.

Comment

oh, and agricultural + industrious + slaves + early GA = ancient powerhouse. you can rex like a bastard. i've often found myself sending slaves on a "road to" from battlefields to my cities. it helps the war effort, and allows me ot follow in with settlers.

Comment

Early GA = ugh, for me. I hate 'em.

I agree, farming is a must in order to max out the enslavement ability. Next time I'll try harder.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So...any answer here?
                        MrWIA.

I didn't go through the trouble of testing SPEEDS, but they were listed as REGULAR workers, and used the worker graphics.

My wife started up a new game and killed the autosave or I would go and join them to a city to see for you.

I just considered it a nice treat to have those 10 horse that died taking the capitol return as 5 workers.
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                          oh, and agricultural + industrious + slaves + early GA = ancient powerhouse. you can rex like a bastard. i've often found myself sending slaves on a "road to" from battlefields to my cities. it helps the war effort, and allows me ot follow in with settlers.
                          Oh sure, I can see Uber now:

Capture the defenders, raze the cities, a massive flow of slaves heading back to the core and a flow of settlers comming in behind.

Ethnic Cleansing...
                          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

not quite...as far as I can tell, I can't sacrifice anyone in the epic game without modding the rules...can't be evil if your enemies aren't rushing to certain death to please your "gods". A tempting idea, though.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                              You may be right. The shelve life the Jav is not all that long anyway and you pay a big price by going to GA so soon.
                              You hit the nail on the head, vmxa1!!!

I got a GA in 2500 BC -- and I got beat to the Pyramids anyway Then before I knew, GA over. Ugh.

I don't know which is worse, GA at 2000 BC with Mayan or GA at 1950 with America. Neither is desireable.
                              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                                My wife started up a new game and killed the autosave or I would go and join them to a city to see for you.
                                Your wife plays Civ????

If only my wife did...I got the lecture again last night about playing too long. I tried to explain to her that my empire was on the brink of collapse and it required my full attention , but my pathetic attempt at humor didn't cut it.

She also had no opinion about the enslave ability of the Mayan javelin chucker.
                                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                                X