Anyone figured out "flavors" yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone figured out "flavors" yet?

I've been looking at that new addition, and it seems like it might be interesting, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly how it works. And the help file doesn't exactly provide any good examples.

Nope. (But again all I have to go on are a very limited set of biq files and one save.)
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

It seems fairly simple -- a probability from 0-100% is assigned for Civ Flavor 1 to research techs and/or build improvements "native" to Flavors 2-7.

I'm just confused if this in any way changes how required/not-required-for-era-advances work -- does every probabalistically researched tech now have to be optional?

Best,

Oz
      ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

Huh?

What're flavors?

Comment

Something new in C3C

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
            Huh?

What're flavors?
            As well as the regular attributes, each civ can be assigned a flavor, there's 7 in total. You can also attach them to buildings and techs, and establish probablities between them. So you can steer each civ into certain directions as far as their research and building priorities are concerned. Meaning a flavour 1 civ will be more inclined to build a flavor 1 structure, rather than a flavor 7. It looks kind of interesting, but I haven't had a chance to to really play with them, so I don't know exactly how they work.

Comment

As far as techs go, flavor techs have to be optional as the steering is away from techs. Once the AI decides not to research a tech they apparently never will.
              Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Once the AI decides not to research a tech they apparently never will.
                That can't possibly be true. Eventually the AI will be forced to research a tech as long as it isn't optional.

Unless of course you were only referring until the point where the AI will be forced to research a certain technology. I seriously doubt the AI goes to such an extreme to not research a certain technology that they would turn off their scientific research completely in order not to research it lol.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I think I got the underlaying structure of Flaveors cleared out, and it seems as if the fileformat limit would be 32 rather than 7 flavors.

It may our cource be an AI limit to put it to 7... Nut I think someone should try and see if anyone would make use of more...

Comment

hmmm could this be used to create separate tech trees for each civ?
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I don'th think so... They only affect the chances for an AI to build certain things or reasearch certain stuff. But they er not didabling the access to the techs to specific civs.

Civ specific tech trees can however be made by the use of era NONE techs used as prerequre for certain techs and given as start techs to the civs. (At least I think that is possible sice the latest PTW patch (or is it two patches ago) when they changed ERA NONE techs to work as intended). I've not had the time to test it out, so if anyone has tried and figured it douesn't work so correct me.
                      If it works one of the bigger problems with making sush a mod would be the fact that you would have to make all techs use the same arrows as you can't have civ specific science advisors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Civ specific tech trees can however be made by the use of era NONE techs used as prerequre for certain techs and given as start techs to the civs.
                        There might be an easier way now, just use the Cannot Be Traded flag. However that may fall apart with an era jump, unless a tech can be given to each civ that doesn't become active until a new era is reached.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                          unless a tech can be given to each civ that doesn't become active until a new era is reached.
                          You can do this (Tthe Middle Ages Conquest makes use of this trick).
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I had a bit of fun with this, and heres what 'appears' to have happened..

I have Era 3, Science & War Techs seperate, Era4 Religion and Magic, In PTW, the computer would skip past the science and war to get to Era 4... Break!!

But Now that I've assigned the Warlord Flavour, the Computer researches War-lord flavour techs now, BUT on some ocasions (its set to 25% Science, 25% Religeon, 5% Mage) the other techs...

I'm going to reassign the %, to 10,5 and 0 to the science, religeon and magic. and make other Flavours, like European(35,70,25,10 respective)...

The only concearn is that other than the.. Race Strengths.. assigning opening techs, (which it doesn' anyway) they seem to be a little obsolete....
                            EFR RPG GAME Designer, E.F.R. Forums The Coyn: Fantasy Mod for Civ3:Conquests

Comment

Originally posted by Bane Star
                              I had a bit of fun with this, and heres what 'appears' to have happened..

I have Era 3, Science & War Techs seperate, Era4 Religion and Magic, In PTW, the computer would skip past the science and war to get to Era 4... Break!!

But Now that I've assigned the Warlord Flavour, the Computer researches War-lord flavour techs now, BUT on some ocasions (its set to 25% Science, 25% Religeon, 5% Mage) the other techs...

I'm going to reassign the %, to 10,5 and 0 to the science, religeon and magic. and make other Flavours, like European(35,70,25,10 respective)...

The only concearn is that other than the.. Race Strengths.. assigning opening techs, (which it doesn' anyway) they seem to be a little obsolete....

wow, really? i was wrestling with this stuff, trying to make certain small woners, that produce units for only some civs (trying to integrate all the unit animations i can) - so create a tech tree with era none, eh? you seem to know a lot here - why not start a thread of your own?

oh - warlord flavor? where did u find that? is it in the editor - help?
                              "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

Working...
                              X