Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the Dawning of a New Ancient Era

WOW!

I just got Conquests yesterday. I haven't had time (thanks GF) to play a game past even entirely through the ancient era, but I can still say: WOW!

MAJOR changes are afoot, at least on Monarch level.

I'd like to make a few observations/speculations. I wouldn't say any of this is definitive, just some hunches. We'll only know the strength of each civ and each trait as time goes by and we each have the chance to play the epic game a bit more. Still, here's a few things I noticed that I think indicate that this game is almost Civ4:

Seafaring The seafarers, and to a lesser extent, the expanionists, have a major upper hand in the ancient era, and I do mean major. Sending two or more Curraghs (Carracks? forget the spelling) to scout coastlines will bring you tech upon tech upon tech long before most civs ever meet each other. Playing as the Dutch a bit, I found that of 10 other civs, only the English were on my level - almost. I was consistently 2 techs ahead of most of my neighbors - and this is with a 10% research rate. I had 6 or 7 techs that the French and Germans simply didn't have. Furthermore, I knew where everyone was MUCH more quickly than I would have known by scouting across the land and potentially getting killed by barbarians. Thanks, Atari, for putting no barbarians at sea!

Agriculture For all you REXers out there, this is a major, major benefit. Combined with granaries (and most of the agricultural civs start with Pottery, right? That's how it seemed to me, but I didn't keep notes) you basically have an uber-settler/worker pump homeland, and you have it in no time. I've rarely done as impressive REXing as I did last night playing as the Dutch and Incas.

Tech Freedom at last! 50 turns to save gold, but without the frenetic tech race that vanilla Civ/PTW had - thanks completely to the push-backed communications trading, the fact that AI seafarers don't seem to build carracks (I didn't see any, that's for sure) and the reduced number of expanionists - it's very easy to crank your tech way up and not run a deficit once your core is down. This seems especially potent with agricultural civs and their easy REXing.

This means, in essence, you can both be the tech leader AND prepare for your massive warrior->sword upgrade. In my opinion, you can do both. I haven't tried the upgrade yet, mind you, and I know it's more expensive. But as both the Dutch and the Incas, I had a significant tech lead and more money in the bank than I'm used to having - and I've been using the 40-turn gold saving plan consistently now for at least 3 months.

Alphabet Research this at 50 turns. It's still ludicrously expensive. I don't mind though, as this fits in well with my preferred/accustomed-to strategy.

Philosophy No need on Monarch to crank up the tech rate on Writing to get here - but DO get here. One free tech just from getting philosophy first? If you're seafaring and have the basic techs out of the way, you will become the tech leader. This is golden, golden. The free tech is good for whatever you want - Literature or Map Making would be the most logical choices in my view, but who doesn't want a free tech? And it's easy to get.

The AI It might be easier to get ahead in the ancient era, but the AI seems vastly improved, as well, at least in terms of building priorities. There are a few changes worth noting:

- AI attitude: Almost all the AIs were polite towards me, on Monarch level. A few were cautious; none were ever annoyed. Of course, I didn't do as much building warriors/archers and stealing their workers last night, so maybe that's just coincidence.

- AI build priorities: Whoa! MAJOR changes here, for sure. Solidly REXing last night as the Incas, I saw American cities near my core that I wanted to flip. So, I built 2 or 3 temples near the Americans, thinking that would do the job. Well! I was unpleasantly surprised when a size 4 city of MINE flipped to THEM. And it was near an American city whose culture hadn't expanded! Obviously, the Americans at least now have other priorities other than just blinding sending settlers off into the midst (yes, there was plenty of land still to settle).

Another oddity I observed: the Aztecs, sending workers AHEAD of a settler to PREPARE for a city! Or perhaps, to prepare for an invasion of my core. Either way, I saw Aztec workers building roads where there was no settler! Weird... this bears further investigation. Additionally, when I moved a settler into a blank square to take advantage of those newly built roads, once I built my city, the AI workers MOVED... they didn't idiotically complete the roads they were working on, as they were now in my city radius!

Volcanos These things erupt ALL THE TIME. I will not build a city near them, ever. I don't care about the 3 shields; it's not worth the cost of a whole city. Furthermore, they're all over the place! Seems like more volcanos than there are in the real world.

Tobacco I hope Warpstorm makes this look real pretty, because otherwise, it's almost pointless. OK, I rightfully deserve scorn for that comment; but it could be way more useful, given what tobacco does in RL.

Marsh ARRRGH! I love it, though. No free terrain improvements for building a city here! Has the potential to create great natural barriers...

I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS GAME. And I am going to have to rethink many basic strategies.

(I am going to change the names and city names of some of the civilizations... but not their traits or cultural linking. I know this is totally unimportant)

I have a feeling that a patch will be coming soon that seriously tones down seafaring, agricultural, and volcanos. That's just a hunch. If the seafarers started with a free Curragh, they would kick serious behind. I know it's expensive but I feel it could be made even more expensive.

In brief, the ancient age now seems as much about Culture and trading as it does about preparing for war. There's no mad "race to the bottom" in terms of scrambling for tech. The player CAN actually LEAD in tech. How valuable that is or not remains to be seen.

One final note. It seems as though the player is no longer notified when another civ is working on a Wonder. Is this just something in "preferences" I forgot to turn on, or is this a new feature of the game? If so, heh heh heh, cool. Adds a nice element of surprise.
    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

I think the wonder notification is a preference, yeah.

Interesting info. Thanks.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Still haven't your copy yet, eh Arrian? heh heh heh... I've been copying MOST of my strategy from YOU, and I think you're in for some big surprises... I really can't stress it enough in a simple post.

Unfortunately, I'm applying to college, trying to get a raise, trying to get a new apartment AND planning to wipe 2 computers and reinstall everything, so I don't have time to develop a comprehensive strategy. But I am going to try giving building, rather than agression, a new shot.

After all, if the AI does indeed place greater emphasis on culture now - and it may be premature to say that it does; I haven't gone into the editor and looked at the build preferences - then good old religious and scientific might be as powerful as seafaring, agricultural and industrious.

Comment

Oh I've no doubt I will have some adjusting to do. I look forward to it, though, if it really does shift things back toward the "builder" side of the spectrum.

Too early to draw any firm conclusions yet - we all need to play several games to get a feel for the changes.

Amazon now informs me that my order will be shipped "soon." Whatever that means.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          Amazon now informs me that my order will be shipped "soon." Whatever that means.

-Arrian
          It means "Not now."

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
            That's why I cancelled by Amazon order last night and walked the five blocks to Gamespot.
            - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
            - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
            - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

There are way too many volcanoes in the game. It's not even realistic, neither fun. I haven't been effected by them yet, but by the amount of them in the game I can only guess that will be happening soon. I like the idea of having them, because it adds more strategy to the game. However, there are just far too many in the game. Not to mention that lava gets spewed all over the map. I guess I'll just have to live through it.

Besides all of that, Yahweh, have you noticed the AI still not taking notice to the volcanoes? I mean the AI still appears to build next to volcanoes without any regard. I wish the AI were able to recognize that building next to a volcanoe may not be the best idea.

I really like the marshes, though. Just another terrain of having to deal with, and they seem to appear fairly realistically, too.

Having the technology max cost incread to 50 definitely helps out. A change that I believe most mod people made in Civ3/PtW.

Also, it is an option for Wonder Initiatin Pop-Up. Check your preferences.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

It's true. I did see a number of AI cities built near volcanos. And WAAAAY too many volcanos in general. I hope a patch will correct that. Or we here at 'Poly come to some sort of consensus re: volcanos.

Comment

I started one game with 3 volcanos next to my first city, about 3 turns into the game I get a message that one of them has become active . A couple turns later, I mysteriously win the game by conquest. Was it a bug related to my civilization being destroyed by a volcano, or was it some other bug? Eitherway, I got a pretty good score for winning on the fifth turn.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Sounds like a bug alright.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      I started one game with 3 volcanos next to my first city, about 3 turns into the game I get a message that one of them has become active . A couple turns later, I mysteriously win the game by conquest. Was it a bug related to my civilization being destroyed by a volcano, or was it some other bug? Eitherway, I got a pretty good score for winning on the fifth turn.

it'd be even funnier if it was on SID level
                      Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Maybe there was more civs that started near volcanoes?

Advisor: Sir, we have got messages from our gods that they have decided to do us a favour for our first class worship the last hundred years.
                        King: Oh, yeah?
                        Advisor: Yes, sir. We seem to be the only civilization left on Earth.
                        King: Hmmm... Not bad. Anything more?
                        Advisor: Well, no sir.
                        King: Take a holyday then. Dismissed!

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

For my initial test game, I selected "middle" world features on everything (continents, medium water, temperate, 4 Billion, etc.) I hold a decent size territory and have explored a good chunk of my landmass, as well as circumnavigated the other landmass (though no inland exploration. I've only seen two volacanoes -- so I am not seeing the over-abundance that several people describe.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                            For my initial test game, I selected "middle" world features on everything (continents, medium water, temperate, 4 Billion, etc.) I hold a decent size territory and have explored a good chunk of my landmass, as well as circumnavigated the other landmass (though no inland exploration. I've only seen two volacanoes -- so I am not seeing the over-abundance that several people describe.

Catt
                            I too have selected "middle" setting for everything, except my typical Huge map. After 4 games played enough to explore a whole continent, I've seen (if I recall correctly, which I may not):

- Dutch: 1 volcano (small continent)
                            - Incas: 3 volcanos (large continent, not totally explored)
                            - Portugese: 2 volcanos? (very large continent, not totally explored)
                            - Dutch: 4 volcanos (very large continent)

Note that, as the Dutch, I really saw only the coastlines. So there may have been more volcanos internally.

The important point is that I often saw 2-3 squares covered in lava. And this is well before the year 0. So I think that's pretty significant, signicant enough that I may never build a city near a volcano... although I may plant colonies for iron or whatelse I may need.

Indeed, volcanos may finally make colonies worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                              Sounds kind of like what happened when I accidentally set the 'king' flag on settlers in one of my mods...

Comment

Working...
                              X