Can't play the Dutch in WWII scenario? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't play the Dutch in WWII scenario? :(

Is it true that I can't play the Dutch in the WWII scenario?

I was just hoping for this desperate challenge and watch the war develop...

Or can this be changed somewhere?

Of course not, they were overrun by the Germans in about 3 days. They weren't a major player in the conflict by any means, except for their underground operatives.

Comment

The Germans aren't in this scenario.

You can go into the editor and make the Dutch a playable civ.

Go into the editor, Choose Scenario Properties and Under Players tab, check the Human Player box on the right side. Apply the settings, save the scenario. I would encourage making a back up of the biq before modifying.

From the Nov 4th Apolyton Chat:

[18:32] <+Merepatra> Can we play "non playable civs" on scenarios changing
      it in the editor?...yes you could change it in the editor to play them... but they aren't balanced to
      be played

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
        Of course not, they were overrun by the Germans in about 3 days. They weren't a major player in the conflict by any means, except for their underground operatives.
        5 days to be accurate

But I meant the pacific scenario... I was just wondering how this battle would unfold when the AI plays the AI.

Comment

If nothing else, playing as the Dutch makes for a pretty fast game. It took 3 hours and 56 minutes to reach August 1945 - and lose:

"We have suffered a humiliating Victory Point Loss!"

Some interesting observations:

1) The Japanese grabbed a couple of the Paciifc islands, and were slowly digging into China, but didn't come close to their historical maximums - especially in SE Asia.

2) The Dutch didn't lose a city and were even able to take back Davao (the only part of the Phillipines the Japanese conquered)

3) I never saw the Americans throughout the entire game - not ONCE!

4) The Japanese didn't make a serious push for Singapore until mid-1945, and it seems the only reason was they finally had medium tanks and heavy bombers.

5) The Japs were basically uninterested in the Dutch, EXCEPT for my two cruisers - they bombed Palembang continuously until they were destroyed, then ignored the city for the rest of the game.

VERDICT: This is only one sample, but at the moment it looks like the AI is still relatively helpless when it comes to amphibious warfare. What's probably required is for someone to create a Japanese AI variant of this scenario in which they are poised to conquer most of what they actually took in early 1942.
          To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Can you play a european sen too i thought there was only the pacific. As i have mentiond on several other posts the biggist problem is with the AI is there lack of use of carriers and transports. The japanese also outpased the U.S in Jet tecnologly is this implimented into the game? or does it end at 1945? and does the game paly by Week? Month?It is acutually frightning to know how much more advanced the japanese air force was in 1945 however they were designing more planes then thay could produce. if we had invaded japan they could have sunk a large portion of our navy with advanced jets.(sorry about the history lesson)
            Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Kull
              If nothing else, playing as the Dutch makes for a pretty fast game. It took 3 hours and 56 minutes to reach August 1945 - and lose:

1) The Japanese grabbed a couple of the Paciifc islands, and were slowly digging into China, but didn't come close to their historical maximums - especially in SE Asia.

2) The Dutch didn't lose a city and were even able to take back Davao (the only part of the Phillipines the Japanese conquered)

4) The Japanese didn't make a serious push for Singapore until mid-1945, and it seems the only reason was they finally had medium tanks and heavy bombers.

5) The Japs were basically uninterested in the Dutch, EXCEPT for my two cruisers - they bombed Palembang continuously until they were destroyed, then ignored the city for the rest of the game.

VERDICT: This is only one sample, but at the moment it looks like the AI is still relatively helpless when it comes to amphibious warfare. What's probably required is for someone to create a Japanese AI variant of this scenario in which they are poised to conquer most of what they actually took in early 1942.
              hi ,

and what where your settings , .......

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kull

I had my settings on deity (playing as the americans) and the japanese didnt even bomb pearl harbor on the first turn. So i then promply sailed my battleship fleet out of Hawaii (as the americans) on the 2nd term, caught up to the japanese carrier strike force which was sailing around erraticly and destroyed it ..... in other words i am with you and quite dissapointed ....

Comment

Odd. I played 2 different starts as America with this conquest and both times Japan shelled me.
                  "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Working...
                  X