X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ3 gold for download.... and c3c? :(

from the poly news section:

NO COMMUTE, SHIPPING: JUST DOWNLOAD
    (5 November 2003, 22:36 | Civ3) If going to your local computer retailer is too time consuming, and you do not have the patience for shipping via an online order, you can now order and download Civilization III Gold from PC|IGN as of today. Users have the opportunity to test-drive the title, which is composed of the original CivIII and first expansion pack Play The World combined, for a trial period and then order and download it for keeps via the site`s online ordering system.

Up until this point, IGN had been offering only demos of commercial titles for download. They have partnered with Trymedia Systems to bring this upgrade in their system to fruition, and C3G is the title that launches this expansion. - DanQ

i like the idea but i wish this would be done for C3C too. download, and pay - why not?

producers may say people won't pay... but hey... if they get it from illegal sources (most games are ready to download before the first stores have the games on the shelves!) they wouldn't pay anyway.

so what i want to basicly say: great idea with this civ3 gold. i hope this LEGAL method of distribution gets offered more often.
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

stardock also does it for galactic civilizations...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh.....why not Conquests. I could be playing today

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I read somewhere ATARI is even planning using Kazaa and the likes to spread games this way.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

i once heard of the idea of spreading games with gradually degrade after time. so either you look for a "fix" or you buy the game.
          nice idea too, specially for long-lasting strategy games.
          i just doubt FPSs will be like that because some hardcore people finish the games in the first 24 hours

Comment

Operation Flashpoint has something similar.
            What was it? "FADE" , that's it
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

ah, that's the name, thanks

highly exadurated but interesting article:
              The latest science and technology news from New Scientist. Read exclusive articles and expert analysis on breaking stories and global developments

Comment

There is a certain joy ( for me at least ) in driving to your local software store, seeing a brand new shiny game, and buying it. Then the anticipation as you drive home.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about this DL'able game thing. There are some disadvantages with this system. ( for the consumer that is )
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

imagine what costs the game programmers can save not having to have a producer who organises all the distribution. and you don't need to pay the approx. 20% fee the game shop takes. you can compare it with dell... you can work a lot cheaper like that.

and about the fun:
                  you sound a bit like my ex-girlfriend.
                  me: "why do you have to go shopping twice a week for clothes but hardly ever buy anything".
                  she: "because shopping is fun" ... i never got that

back on-topic: the advantage of downloading: you can try a game by leaving you PC on at night for downloading it. no more looking at the screenshots only to find out that they were pics from the pre-rendered videosequences and noticing that the game sucks...
                  and - you can try the game and decide then, if you want to delete it or buy it (shareware style)

Comment

try a game by leaving you PC on at night for downloading it

What do you mean, a normal 600MB game would only take me about hum15 to 20 min.

Cable

Comment

i know, and some people would need weeks with their 56kBit-PPP-dialin

i've got a 768/256-connection... so i could get it in roughly 2-3 hours. but i still envy you.
                      death to telecommunism!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                        There is a certain joy ( for me at least ) in driving to your local software store, seeing a brand new shiny game, and buying it. Then the anticipation as you drive home.
                        I'm with you here. It's from actually HAVING the thing. The physical act of handing over money and getting something in return - there's something almost primal about something like that. Downloading a game woud be kind of fun as it is something relatively new and techy, but holding a home-burned disc in your hand? Not quite the same sort of thrill as looking at your new box + manual and saying "you're MINE".
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

I'm with you here. It's from actually HAVING the thing. The physical act of handing over money and getting something in return - there's something almost primal about something like that. Downloading a game woud be kind of fun as it is something relatively new and techy, but holding a home-burned disc in your hand? Not quite the same sort of thrill as looking at your new box + manual and saying "you're MINE".
                          Exactly! You said it better than me

sabrewolf - I'm not a mall rat like some girly girls. But I do like going to the computer store to get new games!
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                          X