Wonders and so on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonders and so on...

The List of Wonders which produce commerce ( tourist attractions ).

The Pyramids
    The Oracle
    Hanging Gardens
    The Great Wall
    The Statue of Zeus
    The Temple of Artemis
    Mausoleum of Mausollos
    The Great Library
    The Colossus
    The Great Lighthouse
    The Sistine Chapel
    Leonardo's Workshop
    Copernicus's Observatory
    Shakespeare's Theater
    Newton's University
    JS Bach's Cathedral
    Hoover Damn
    United Nations
    One slight critcism... would anyone in their right mind get more excited about seeing the Hoover Dam than the Statue of Liberty? Like everything else though, naturally this is modable so I can mess around to my hearts content removing all the game balance. Still... does it strike anyone else as a little odd?

Don't suppose anyone knows of any good Eiffel Tower graphics? That 'Mausoleum of Mausollos' doesn't appeal to me on the same level.
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

FYI Tourists visit the Hoover Dam on a regular basis. If the Hoover Dam were in New York, then people would visit it almost as much as the Statue of Liberty.

The United Nations is something I don't think people visit much, but I guess the "peace and power" thing would appeal to some tourists.

Infact, out of all of them, I personally think that Leonardo's Workshop is not something that should generate any Tourism.
    be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
      FYI Tourists visit the Hoover Dam on a regular basis. If the Hoover Dam were in New York, then people would visit it almost as much as the Statue of Liberty.
      If one of the world's largest dams was in the centre of one the world's largest cities then it certainly would be worth seeing!
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

"Infact, out of all of them, I personally think that Leonardo's Workshop is not something that should generate any Tourism."
        Thats terrible that that generates a commercial bonus. I dont even think there is such a place....but im not sure on that but I most certainly havent heard of it. I just thought it was incorporated into Civ III as a principle more or less and ended up as a wonder
        "I came, I saw, and.....then I went home."

Comment

Originally posted by grappleman
          "Infact, out of all of them, I personally think that Leonardo's Workshop is not something that should generate any Tourism."
          Thats terrible that that generates a commercial bonus. I dont even think there is such a place....but im not sure on that but I most certainly havent heard of it. I just thought it was incorporated into Civ III as a principle more or less and ended up as a wonder
          I thought this one was odd, too. They took an abstraction and made it into a tourist destination.

Then again, in the "real" world, you can't visit 7 or 8 of the other attractions listed. Try going to the Great Library and checking out a book.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Then again, in the "real" world, you can't visit 7 or 8 of the other attractions listed. Try going to the Great Library and checking out a book.

Try asking for a prophecy from the Oracle.

Comment

The Great Library is something similar to what the Egyptians had I think, or was it some middle east civilization, like Persia or something... They had a massive library that contained most of the worlds written work. Today it would be 'kind of' silly, but thousands of years ago, it would be worth more than any wonder that existed.

The Oracle would apply as a historical wonder, that's what this tourism feature is about, tourism! a money generating thing!
              be free

Comment

Honestly, I'd rather see the Hoover Dam.

And you are referring to the library at Alexandria?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker

Try asking for a prophecy from the Oracle.

So you mean that old woman I see every Monday is a fake?

Comment

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Santa Claus is fake too. And the Tooth Fairy.

You know, should Shakespeare's give tourist bonus for a short time right AFTER it is built? Like, when Shakespeare was alive?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                      You know, should Shakespeare's give tourist bonus for a short time right AFTER it is built? Like, when Shakespeare was alive?
                      It DOES! But the "theatre" is so fine that they don't leave, and before you know it, you've got a metro that is full of happy (well, content at least) campers. ... hospital not required.

(Food surplus assumed)

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Shakespeare's Theatre is still a huge tourist attraction (well, it's a reconstruction of the old one, but is still excellent). Anyone who visits London should go and see a Shakespeare play at The Globe - it has to be seen to be believed.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                          X