The Traits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Traits

For those of us who can't join the party today online, and can't afford to buy Conquests for the time being , can someone please list all the new traits?

I know the traits for the new civs, obviously. I want all the others... apparently the Celts and Iroquois are Agricultural now? Please, PLEASE list all the traits, one of you compassionate people, have mercy on us who must wait.

Starting techs would be nice too...
    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

copied from CFC

Old Civs, new traits :

English commercial & seafaring
    Aztecs : militaristic & agricultural
    Iroquois : commercial & agricultural
    Scandinavia : militaristic & seafaring
    Celts : religious & agricultural
    Carthage : industrious & seafaring
    Spain : religious & seafaring
    Are we having fun yet?

Comment

So, it would seem as though the only trait combinations that are repeated twice would be:

Persia, Ottomans - Scientific & Industrious

Zulu, Mongols - Expanionist & Militaristic

Greece, Korea - Scientific & Commercial

Can this be right? Some of the traits don't seem realistic at all! Sure hope the gameplay's good...

Comment

3 is the minimum (31 civs, 28 possible trait combos). I hope there are not more duplicates.

Comment

Iroquois : commercial & agricultural
          Wow, changed both traits (fine by me, makes more sense this way).

Looks like the only Rel/Mil civ left is Japan. Interesting they left China alone... I would have figured them for a change.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
            3 is the minimum (31 civs, 28 possible trait combos). I hope there are not more duplicates.
            Well, I laid 'em all out in a spreadsheet, avoiding duplicates and putting in old civ trait values for the ones I haven't heard about (I saw the CFC post this morning) and that's what I got, those 3 combos.

I must say, I hope the gameplay is right. I thought Carthage was waaaaay too "hardcore" in PTW... this time around, the Mayas, a civilization that is now in the "dustbin of history," got a pretty hardcore trait combo... I hope this doesn't always make them a superpower...

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Looks like the only Rel/Mil civ left is Japan. Interesting they left China alone... I would have figured them for a change.

-Arrian
              Yeah, dangit! Agricultural and Industrious!

Sorry, I need to blow off a little steam here. Please note, all you reading this: I am NOT dissing Conquests. I haven't even played it; I assume that it is, as all reviews indicate, VERY, VERY GOOD. However, I must say that some of the traits make no damn sense whatsoever. Why, why, WHY are China and India not Agricultural? Lordy! Why does Carthage remain Industrious? Shouldn't one of the duplicates be Seafaring and Commercial - Carthage and England? Man oh man.

Many of the traits are spot on - the Vikings, for example. Many aren't spot-on, but still very good - the Iroquois and Celtic change, for example, isn't totally "historically accurate" but is still fairly so. How about the Seafaring and Agricultural Dutch, though? Agricultural? Where do they get that from? yarrrrgh... you'll definitely be seeing a mod from me, that's for sure... though I won't be a pisser and just play my mod... I want the solid advice of everyone here, so I'll keep the game as it is released, with patches of course.

Still! Mr. History is pissy.

ps: China = Industrious and Agricultural! Or Scientific! Make the damn persians Militaristic and Industrious if you must!

Comment

Ok, I've calmed down now. Sorry about that, everyone. No more nasty comments from me.

Now... let's have the traits.

Comment

The Iroquois are WHAT??? That's just plain silly. An aboriginal commercial society is just silly. Especially the Iroquois who were more "war-like" than some other native tribes in NA. (Say, the Maliseet for example... ) But, still... you can't have a native peoples as commercial... they weren't commercial. Europeans brought the concept of money for money's sake.
                  If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
                  Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                    I guess the main reason for China being Ind/Mil is the Great Wall. Building this wonder definitely should trigger their Golden Age.
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

The Iroquois are WHAT??? That's just plain silly. An aboriginal commercial society is just silly. Especially the Iroquois who were more "war-like" than some other native tribes in NA. (Say, the Maliseet for example... ) But, still... you can't have a native peoples as commercial... they weren't commercial. Europeans brought the concept of money for money's sake.
                      they were quite commercial. they tried to dominate the fur trade...thus it seems that they indeed have a good commercial sense.
                      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

There was no fur trade until the Europeans arrived. Prior to that, fur was only used as needed, not really "commercially" traded (ie for profit only).
                        If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
                        Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

Originally posted by mimi
                          Ah yes, but "commercial" in civ represents a whole sleiugh of things, including cohesiveness of society... hence, the "empire spanners" logically have commercial as one of their traits... the Iroquois might not have built a huge empire, but they were one of the only confederacies of tribes in North America... their federalism alone dictates the Commercial trait.

I agree with you, it's not perfectly, but it's much better than religious. Who can remember the Iroquois religious system?

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
                            I guess the main reason for China being Ind/Mil is the Great Wall. Building this wonder definitely should trigger their Golden Age.
                            ...eh... the Chinese Golden Age is widely accredited to the Tang dynasty, thousands of years after the largely ineffective - though pretty - Great Wall was built.

Of course, like some of the other civs featured in the game, China's been around a long time and has had multiple "golden ages," so I guess it makes sense. But I hope China's growth priorities are changed, at least. In both vanilla Civ and PTW China was not a big settler, which is fairly ridiculous... consistently one of the largest civilizations of all time (population and territory-wise).

But, I digress.

Comment

In earlier beta versions of Civ3, when there wasn't a peaceful method to trigger a Golden Age, China was Industrious and Scientific. Firaxis only changed it to Ind/Mil when they introduced the wonder GA trigger. I agree that Scientific and/or Agricultural would be adequate traits for China, but they wouldn't match to the Great Wall.
                              "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Working...
                              X