• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New review of Civ III:Conquests at IGN

A new review has been posted at IGN. Look at this link:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/457/457522p1.html

Have fun!

In addition to the unique units for the new civs, there are nine new units available to all players. An early naval unit that doesn't require resources can help you scout out your coastline, while a late era anti-tank unit (also not requiring any resources) can shift the weight towards the defensive player. There are some small tweaks to most of the existing units in the game as well. For the most part, these changes are fairly minor but the new defensive first strike capability of musketeers and the enslavement potential of some of the naval units definitely change the pace of the game. Bombers can now destroy ships through bombardment and submarines can choose which unit to attack when going up against a stack of enemies. Both these additions make these units much more effective than they were previously
    defensive first strike? i bet that means zero range bombardment...
    nine new units
    1. curagh(sp?)
    2. trebuchet
    3. tow infantry
    4. modern marines
    5. modern paratroopers
    6. tow infantry
    7. anti-aircraft
    8. ???
    9. ???

Beyond that, the team has addressed a number of smaller issues that have a profound effect on the pace of the game. You can clear forests now in half the time it used to take, for instance. On the other hand, the maximum research time has been increased from 40 to 50 years. Players who rely on that 40-turn ceiling will find themselves falling farther and farther behind now. (Although, if it's taking you 40 turns, there are plenty of other problems to be dealt with.) Hurrying production is now 50% more expensive than it was before, making those rush jobs much more costly
    hmmmm...i'm not sure if i like these changes or not, especially the 50% hurry, but i'm looking forward to conquests
    Last edited by korn469; November 1, 2003, 05:50.

Comment

Sounded like a well balanced and fair review.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Sounds good. Well- informed, and clearly written by someone who knows and understands the game (though it looks like he didn't play every single Conquest, but Hey, he does focus on the Epic Game anyway). And it gives away a surprising amount of information.
        The only thing that seems strange is that it gets nearly the same score as ptw, but in the hindsight I guess the ptw score was too good...

Did you notice the Republic part btw? Do you have any idea how much this will change the Gov choices ?
        Last edited by Doc Tsiolkovski; November 1, 2003, 07:38.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

nine new units
          1. curagh(sp?)
          2. trebuchet
          3. tow infantry
          4. modern marines
          5. modern paratroopers
          6. tow infantry
          7. anti-aircraft
          8. ???
          9. ???
          Looks like you need more question marks. He may be including the Ancient Cavalry and Crusader units that are produced by wonders (Zeus and Knights Templar respectively).

I thought this was interesting too...

The English and Carthaginians are seafaring people now, while the Celts and Iroquois are agricultural.
          And Fall of Rome lost even more of whatever appeal it had left, seeing as you cannot play either Roman faction. Boring. Oh well, Rise of Rome sounds very cool.

Good review from someone who seems to have put in a lot of time playing Civ over the years. Now back to waiting.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Tsiolkovski
            Did you notice the Republic part btw? Do you have any idea how much this will change the Gov choices ?
            Ah, you mean this:

Republican governments will find it much harder to wage war now as their unit support cost has been doubled. That's right, doubled. While it sounds harsh, it definitely helps emphasize the distinction between the warmongering governments and the more peaceful ones.
            I already modded Republic to have double support costs, and it's still the best government.

Comment

I think you may find Republic's dominance of the governments to be at an end.
              Friedrich Psitalon
              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

And Fall of Rome lost even more of whatever appeal it had left, seeing as you cannot play either Roman faction.
                To the Editor!
                Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                  I think you may find Republic's dominance of the governments to be at an end.
                  RE: Fall Of Rome and playing Rome - when you see the scenario, you'll understand why the "Romes" were made unplayable.
                  Friedrich Psitalon
                  Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                  Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Republican governments will find it much harder to wage war now as their unit support cost has been doubled. That's right, doubled. While it sounds harsh, it definitely helps emphasize the distinction between the warmongering governments and the more peaceful ones.
                    Hmmm . . .

Well, I'm no expert but, considering the fact that I'm a peaceful builder . . . will this further my cause by forcing warmongers to use the warmonging govs (and, thus, reducing their research)?

Or will it only penalize the peace-builders by forcing them to use a war government (to maintain a large military) in a game that is ultimately won by the civ with the largest military?

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                      RE: Fall Of Rome and playing Rome - when you see the scenario, you'll understand why the "Romes" were made unplayable.
                      I understand from reading the review why they are not playable. I'm just saying that's not what I'm interested in; everything I've seen about this particular conquest has just been disappointing.

As for Republic, I hope you're right; having one government that works (or can be made to work) for everything diminishes from an otherwise enjoyable game.

@Saint Marcus - let me know if you want any help with your Fall of Rome scenario. I'd be happy to playtest or collaborate or whatever. You can PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Finally, a glimpse of the long-awaited Napoleonic Scenario.

However, it appears northern Egypt has been left off. What's up with that???
                        "The Pershing Gulf War began when Satan Husane invaided Kiwi and Sandy Arabia. This was an act of premedication."
                        Read the Story ofLa Grande Nation , Sieg oder Tod and others, in the Stories Forum

Comment

Legions can also build roads - do you know if this will just be in scenarios or the regular game. That would be huge in the regular game.

Comment

hi ,

dont forget to take a look at the screenshot thread , loads of new info there , way more then in the preview

link below in sig

enjoy

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

defensive first strike? i bet that means zero range bombardment...
                              That could really add some complexity to battles, especially with modding.

This part
                              An early naval unit that doesn't require resources can help you scout out your coastline
                              Depending on where this unit is on the tech chart this could play a big impact on the game I think. Already discovering the map is way too easy, so I don't like the idea of that. However, if the trireme (is that what it's still called in Civ3 lol?) requires a resource to be built, then I might like this idea. I'm thinkin this is definitely going to be something that could be great for modding, because I don't think the Civ3 team will balance this right. The modding part of it is still good, though.

Hopefully this
                              Communist leaders can now create a Secret Police headquarters that acts as a second Forbidden Palace.
                              entices more civs to play as a Communism. However, will the AI now when to properly become a Communism (i.e. large military, spread out civ)?

I don't think I like this at all
                              As far as agriculture goes, it's really great when combined with the short-lived advantages of the expansionist trait.
                              I'll probably just wind up turning off civ traits if I think it's even more unbalanced, and I think it's unbalanced enough as it is.

I'd prob say more, but I gotta get going. Overall, I think this expansion pack will only be good if a lot more options are given in the editor, else I don't think it's going to serve that much purpose to me, since I don't play scenarios very often.
                              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                              X