Mod: Double Your Pleasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod: Double Your Pleasure

Welcome to Double Your Pleasure, aka DyP.

DyP is an attempt at adding more depth and choice to the great game of Civ3.

One of my main goals in developing this mod was to create a game that followed the development of human civilization more closely than the original Civ3.

What does this mean? I have deliberately made early expansion more difficult and slowed down city growth for the first half of the Ancient Age. We have added 95 new tech advances to help cultivate the sense of how great scientific achievements have marked the development of human civilization. These new techs allow for greater depth in the unit and improvement aspect of Civ3. To this end we have added 65 new units that flesh out the upgrade chains on all levels of military development. We have also added 50 new improvements, 35 new wonders, and 17 new small wonders.

All these new improvements and wonders create unparalleled choices for the player and mean that the old standard cookie cutter cities no longer apply. In DyP it becomes possible, and some say even essential, to create specialized cities that focus on one aspect of empires development, be that science, production or commerce, they all play a role and each one is developed further in DyP than in the original game.

But don’t just take my word for it. Here are some comments from other players just like you.

“Civ III came out late October of 2001 and my love for it consumed me from then until probably about March. Finally burned out, I let it go until recently when I heard about the Double Your Pleasure mod a few weeks back. Since then, I've been playing a hideous amount of Civ 3 again. This mod is absolutely tremendous. DYP revolutionized the tech tree with nearly 100 new technologies, over 60 new units, 50 new wonders and 45 new improvements. When I play it I can't help but wonder why the original Civ 3(which I love dearly, remember) wasn't this good. The mod adds new layers of strategy to the game and sets the standard in my opinion as to what Civ IV must beat. Definately worth taking for a spin.”
    Jason M. Diller – GoneGold.com

Gamespot called the mod “epic” in its otherwise unflattering review of Play the World.
    Gamespot

“Excellent mod! It forces choices that simply aren't there in regular Civ.”
    Plato - Apolyton Member

“Well, Kal-El's Double Your Pleasure mod is an absolute must. It really enriches the game drastically
    Spiffor - Apolyton Member

“Calling Kal-El's work a mod is rather short.
    What Kal-El did is what Civ3 shoud have been in the first place.
    You might agree or disagree on some of the design decisions he made, but the structure is 99,99 % flawless.”
    delfino – Civfanatics Member

“Great job Kal-El !! You managed to combine Civ3 quality with Call to Power quantity !! A successful challenge as I could see. I have the feeling that I'm playing a new game.”
    Juliennew – Civfanatics Member

“... I've been gaming for a good many years now, but have only played DYP since v.47. I just wanted to say that since playing DYP, the thought of plain vanilla C3 is anathema to me. You've obviously put a great deal of work and love into this mod, but it is certainly worth it. Bravo!”
    Kault – Civfanatics Member

“Thank You DYP Team - S!
    Haven't had this much fun with a Mod in years. You folks should be congragulated! I won't bore you with all the "you need to fix that, and this...", as from what I have read on the posts has already been said. I come only to praise Ceaser!!
    Thanks DYP Team!”
    DasBuck – Civfanatics Member

“Woohoo great mod!!!
    Let me start by repeating that this mod is fantastic. It is the civ3 equivalent of CelestialDawn's mod for Ctp - except even (a lot) better!! It is imho civ3 as it should have been from the start.”
    Kdan – Civfanatics Member

“I would like to say thank you for rekindling my love for the civ series. Your mod has made the civ3 game what it should be (or close enough). I stopped playing this game because of the fact that a lot of the civ 2 stuff that i liked wasnt there. You guys added some extra cool stuff and i see brought back some civ 2 ideas.”
    Doorsmaniac – CDG Member

“DYP really made CivIII playable for me. Before that it was a huge disappointment. What a great addiction!”
    j100telecaster – CDG Member

“Gotta log a vote for Civ3 Double Your Pleasure. Mods aren't a huge deal in the 4x strategy genre, but that one took the original game where the developers should've gone.”
    Ironrod1 – Gone Gold Member

Discussions about DyP:
    The DyP Thread
    DyP Forums
    DyP Strategy at Apolyton
    DyP Strategy at Civfanatics
    Last edited by Kal-el; October 23, 2003, 00:56.
    Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
    or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
    For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Why two links? Is the first one for PTW? That first one is broken.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Love the mod; however, I'm having some difficulty with menus and text; things are garbled or just one thing off.

Another thing I noticed... I saw that the rules prevent cities in jungle, desert, and tundra; I started a game in the jungle, and it let me build a city there. Is this a glitch with Civ3Edit or something?

Comment

make sure you have the latest patch for your version of Civ3. We have seen some text issues when people aren't using the most up-to-date patches.

As for the jungle issue, you are supposed to be able to build in jungles. We had restricted them, but the AI wouldn't cut them down just to build a city, whereas the human player would, putting the AI at a disadvantage. Where does it still show that you can not build cities in jungles, we need to remove that to prevent future confusion.
        Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
        For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
          Why two links? Is the first one for PTW? That first one is broken.
          The first link is for PTW.

The second link is for regular civ3.

Enjoy the mod.
          "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

MD5 sum for the PtW download:
            174ed3c32ba09610acd319cd5668cd16

MD5 for the Vanilla download:
            e652e10ac5246063862425a452eda8ec

This is both on the server an on the file I have locally. However, it might have been a corruption when I downloaded the files before uploading them. (Kal-el, can you verify that these checksums are correct?)
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-el
              As for the jungle issue, you are supposed to be able to build in jungles. We had restricted them, but the AI wouldn't cut them down just to build a city, whereas the human player would, putting the AI at a disadvantage. Where does it still show that you can not build cities in jungles, we need to remove that to prevent future confusion.

Thanks... I thought I had install the latest patch; reinstalled it and the mod, and things are working now. Weirdness.

As to the jungle... it says no cities in the spreadsheet text... I really like the idea of no cities in the jungle, it'd work great if people could just resist the temptation to exploit the AI in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                MD5 sum for the PtW download:
                174ed3c32ba09610acd319cd5668cd16

MD5 for the Vanilla download:
                e652e10ac5246063862425a452eda8ec

This is both on the server an on the file I have locally. However, it might have been a corruption when I downloaded the files before uploading them. (Kal-el, can you verify that these checksums are correct?)
                I would if I knew what that meant.

As for the jungle, it would have been very cool, but people are people.

Comment

This is a very good mod... congratulations on a job well done Kal-El... although I slightly modified it for my own use. I like giving myself terribly unfair advantages.

1. Nobody can have scout units but me.
                  2. Road movement changed to either 4 or 6. (depending on size of map)
                  3. Every wonder gives 2 free advances, double research, and +1 trade.
                  4. All the wisemen units are only available to the civ I am using. and they also give 4 production.
                  5. The Basilica can only be built by me, and I rigged it so that it is an improvement, but gives 2 free advances, lots of production, trade, etc... (I think that's a bug with the editor... change a building to a wonder, give it powers, then change it back and the improvement retains powers)
                  6. Captured unit is the tribe... I did this to simulate refugees... workers are kind of lame... and I gave the tribe unit the ability to build roads and rails and made it available to whatever Civ I am at a cost of 0.

I also made a lot of modern units have the Blitz feature.... and I added the A-10 Thunderbolt as a fighter that has lethal land bombardment.

All and all... very good Kal-El... you have improved my Civ 3 experience immensely... I thank you.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

sounds like you really weighted things so it is impossible for the AI to challenge you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-el

I would if I knew what that meant.

As for the jungle, it would have been very cool, but people are people.
                      Md5 is a checksom algorithm. It's usefull to see if a file has been uploaded or downloaded correctly (I compare the sum on the server with the sum of a local file I upload when uploading large files)

It makes sure that there are no errors in my upload. However, there might still be errors in the download as I don't have the original untransparted file to do a sum of.

See

(or for the technicaly interested: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1321.html )

Comment

oh and I forgot... I create custom maps using the generate map feature, give myself a wonderful starting position with all of the luxury and strategic resources nearby, and plan out a system of cities to get maximum efficiency and the least possible overlap. I then give myself about 40 goodie huts to advance past the ancient age real quick.

I play with around 20 civs on a standard size map... more to kill

I always do conquest. I'm trying to see how fast I can conquer the world and get all the techs. So far, my best is 1250 BC with 16 future techs.

I also set the citizen food consumption to 2 so I have massive cities. And I set the corruption levels to 0%... it's just too annoying.

I also created a government "Pax " like Pax Americana, or Pax Ruska, Pax Romana... depending upon which Civ I play as. I give the Civ all the civ-specific qualities as well. This gov't has the highest worker rate, tile bonuses, and free unit support, and I make it available at the start of the game.

And I gave engineers "all terrain as roads". I tend to expand faster than I can build an infrastructure, so I needed to do something about moving guys through all terrains.

I think that's about it.

I just wanted to note that I routinely have insane numbers in city production... sometimes upwards of 800-1000 shields... over 3,000 trade, and city sizes above 60... the game usually doesn't last long enough to get higher than that. And I've never had a crash.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Would that be some sort of super easy difficulty level? You maybe should reverse it and giving the AI all the bonuses...

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                            Would that be some sort of super easy difficulty level? You maybe should reverse it and giving the AI all the bonuses...
                            nah, I like to see how much I can dominate... I do play on deity, but it doesn't matter with that much of an advantage.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hey Sava - you did your posts on the wrong day of the month and the wrong month.

The day of the month should be the 1st.

You can guess the month yourself.

But if you are off topic to much - we can forgive you.
                              "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X