An Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooh, that is nice.

One improvement I tried to make early on was an "oil refinery", which would boost production, but only if there was an oil resource in the city radius. I had to make it a minor wonder because there was no way in heck I was going to let every city build it.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
      Uuhm, don't quote me on the bonus resource issue-'cause I'm not 100% certain of that one (though gems, gold and silver are 3 of the resources which can be used to build these 'treasure units' in Age of Discovery). What I AM certain of, though, is that improvements can now be given the 'must have resource in City Radius Flag' which, as you've said MM, is Eeexcelleeent!!!
      That would be nice, I had all sorts of ideas to introduce strategic needs to the game but couldn't due to the limited editor abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
        Uuhm, don't quote me on the bonus resource issue-'cause I'm not 100% certain of that one (though gems, gold and silver are 3 of the resources which can be used to build these 'treasure units' in Age of Discovery).
        I doubt it very much. When Civ first came out, you could select a bonus resource as a requirement, but it never worked right, so they dropped it. I suspect that those you mentioned have been changed to strategic just for that particular scenario.

What I AM certain of, though, is that improvements can now be given the 'must have resource in City Radius Flag' which, as you've said MM, is Eeexcelleeent!!!
        I'm very pleased to hear that, it's been on my wish list for a long time. I've brought it up on the forums a number of times now. Finally someone at Firaxis is listening to me!

Now I'm only hoping that that the city screen has a scrolling resource window, so I don't end up with all those icons sprawling across the top. It looks like crap!

Comment

will the AI also build those improvements. Say you make an improvement called "war factory" that will build a tank every 3 turns if there's a source of iron (or oil, or whatever) in it's radius. Will the AI build it in times of war, or will it prefer just building units and not looking at the free unit bonus that the improvement grants?
          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

That's an EXCELLENT question, Saint Marcus, and one which I hope a rep of Firaxis or Breakaway Games will answer for all of us !!!

Comment

Actually, I plan to give all the improvements that produce units every X turns a production bonus as well-partly to ensure that the AI builds it, but also to reflect, in an abstract fashion, the contribution these improvements can make to the peacetime economy! Also, isn't 1 tank/3 turns a LITTLE excessive? more like every 10 TURNS!!!
              Also, giving them an industrial/militaristic tag might also help influence which AI civs build them most often!!!

Yours,
              The_Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Maybe there will be AI check boxes that tell the AI how to emphasize the improvement, like there are for units.

Comment

There already are -- I'm not sure how well the AI uses them, though.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    There already are -- I'm not sure how well the AI uses them, though.
                    If your referring to the flags on the Civilizations page, not very well. I tried checking off the one to make them build Artillery uniits more often, and it didn't make any difference that I could see.

Comment

the flags make little to no difference.
                      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I really like this idea. Maybe even make some of them GW's (to represent a country becoming a world leader in an industry).

Comment

Working...
                        X