Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ Newspaper

German tanks roll through Hastings.German troops
    have taken the northen city of Hasting the British military no where in sight.Bomber misson foiled.Several German bombers
    were shot down over London before droping there payload saving many lives.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a newspaper come out at the start of your turn.Telling you currnet events wars major battles. Several times nations have been wiped out and i hadent noticed untill it was to late to stop the distruction.The newspaper could perhaps tell you about wars that started while you wernt paying attention or how nations are doing in their current war so you dont have to evaluate it your self and watch the world so closely.It could also give current casuatly rates and other such things. There was a newspaper in sim city 2000 wich helped me fix many things that went wrong in my city i dident know about.
    Does anyone else think this would be a good idea or am i just saying stupid things?
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely

I do like the idea.

If it was added, I would like to see it as an option that can be disabled... I still like to have quick games with little distractions.
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

That would be awesome

Actually there was a newspaper (or news bar, or something like that) in Civ1, and IIRC in a previous "most wanted" list made by fans some years ago, it was in the top 5 wishes for civ3.
      Too bad they ignored this request
      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

Very good idea, but I doubt we'll ever see it.
        "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

I want the newspaper headlines of Civ1 to return.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I really like this idea. Sometimes I get so involved on one front that I neglect the rest of the world. A simple little reminder of this nature could work wonders!
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Well, I hope that they added something for Conquests in Multiplayer so you know how many enemy swordmen that tried to take your city that you held off before they saked your city.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Bring back the news reports !
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

It should be a separate screen which also holds headlines going a few years back so one could open it and get refreshed as to the world’s events at a glance. Perhaps have a small icon flash on the screen to let you know when it has been updated.
                  "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

It would definitely be interesting. I remember SC2000. The newspaper always cracked me up with some of it's random stuff. Something like that for civ wouldn't be too hard to implement. It would just take some more RNG.

Comment

I got this idea from SC2000 and the fact that in my last game germany had been invaded by persia and i hadnt noticed until they had been destroyed.It will also help you keep track of all the little unimportant things.
                      Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

IMHO it should be a news ticker, moving/flashing on the bottom of your screen. You could then leave it or click on it, opening the detailed news screen. This screen should be also accessible via the main menu and/or a shortcut.
                        (I believe Transport Tycoon had something similar)
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

Well such idea would be something best for Hotseat and PBEM games, when you normally can't really see what happend in last turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                            IMHO it should be a news ticker, moving/flashing on the bottom of your screen. You could then leave it or click on it, opening the detailed news screen. This screen should be also accessible via the main menu and/or a shortcut.
                            (I believe Transport Tycoon had something similar)
                            IIRC Transport Tycoon has a bar with the headline in the bottom, but important news would show up automatic (I think you couls set what should pop up and what should stay in the bar)
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Yes, IIRC you are right. You could also click on the headlines from the bottom bar to show the complete report. There was also possible to read older news from the Newspaper/Messages (?) menu.
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X