Add Unit in Play the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Unit in Play the World

I wanted to do a simple thing, just copy a longbowman unit...but as a new unit (change the name) and add my own charicteristics. Basically, add a buffed up longbowman for my civ. This turns out to be godly impossible because I cannot get past the PediaIcons error ...ANIMNAME_
    I have tried tutorials, I cannot find one specific enough -- *exactly* WHERE is this line supposed to be added, *exactly* what is it supposed to look like, *exactly* what is it referencing? Tutorials are vague about this and the game crashes without it.

Please do not just blankly tell me to check the creation forum. I did. I am only able to find hacking info for regular CivIII -- not the Play the World version, which you don't need to hack the editor for.

Help ???
    "I will not govern my actions by your reactions."

These entries are at the end of the pediaicons.txt file and refrence the name of the folder that the unit is in.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

HELP!

Ok so I've got it *almost* working....I've got the unit folder added, I've got the PediaIcons.txt edited...checked and rechecked and checked again the correct spellings. Now I am getting a blank PediaIcons crash message...stating:
      mising entry in: "text\PediaIcons.txt":ANIMNAME_

It's not listing the name of the animname it can't find, how am I supposed to fix it? All files are named to match and all unit folders are there. I don't understand why there is a blank underscore after ANIMNAME ...?
      Last edited by green_athena; September 27, 2003, 03:14.
      "I will not govern my actions by your reactions."

Comment

I have exactly the same problem with two new mech units I've downloaded. All the files are in the correct places yet the game gives me the same error message again and again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comment

Have toy given the units a civilopedia entry in the editor?
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Yes, I created two new Civilopedia entries for two new units, the Combat Mech and the Mechwalker which I downloaded from Apolyton. All the necessary files are in the right place, I created two new civpedia entries (description etc.), changed the iconfile etc, etc. I still get the 'missing entry in: "text\PediaIcons.txt":ANIMNAME_ ' message. I've checked all the names and they are all correct but still it won't work.

What I have done:

1. Put all the flc files in a folder with the unit name and put them in the art\units section PtW.

2. Put the icons in the civilopedia\icons section in pcx format. (the civpedia map in the PtW section, not the main civ3\civpedia section).

3. Changed the Civilopedia and pedialcons txt. files.

Added the following things in the pedialcons txt files (PtW section):

3a.

#ICON_PRTO_Combat_Mech
            art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_Combat Mech civpedia lg.pcx
            art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_Combat Mech civpedia sm.pcx
            #ICON_PRTO_MechWalker
            art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_MechWalker civpedia lg.pcx
            art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_MechWalker civpedia sm.pcx

Placed these entries after all the other units and before #End Units

3b.

In the unitanimations section I added the following lines at the end:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_MechWalker
            MechWalker
            #ANIMNAME_PRTO_Combat_Mech
            Combat Mech

4. In the Civilipedia txt. file I added the following section in the Mechanized Units section (after Modern Armor):

#PRTO_BattleMech
            ^
            ^
            ^The MechWalkeris a unique unit, found only in the Tanari Army. It's used to same way as tanks are by other nations, though it's performance is better. The MechWalker's only drawback is it's higher production cost, though that is of little comfort to it's opponents!
            ^
            ^A city must have both $LINK and $LINK in its
            $LINK box to build MechWalkers.
            #DESC_PRTO_MechWalker
            ^
            ^
            ^The Tanari Battloid designs are a uniquely different from the tank designs used by other nations. Tanar was the only country that managed to design a working bipedal battloid and has used them extensively as the mainstay of Tanar's armoured forces. Though it looks quite different, the MechWalker serves the same function as a tank, namely to spearhead an assault. Though slower on roads than tanks, the MechWalker really shines on rough terrain, where it can cover great distances quite rapidly, thus outmanoevering enemy formations. The MechWalker is armed with a single 88 mm cannon and 6 missile launchers and is manned by a crew of three.

#PRTO_Combat_Mech
            ^
            ^
            ^The Combat Mech represents the pinnacle of Tanari Battloid design. Fast, deadly and agile it is more than a match for even the finest battletanks used by other nations, though it's more expensive to produce and maintain.
            ^
            ^A city must have $LINK, $LINK and $LINK in its
            $LINK box to build Combat Mechs.
            #DESC_PRTO_Combat_Mech
            ^
            ^
            ^The Combat Mech is the latest Battloid design created for the Tanari Army and is equipped with 4 heavy gatling guns which can release up to 300 rounds per second per gun. Each gun can also lock on to a different target. Needless to say the Combat Mech is feared by tankcrews who have given the Combat Mech it's ominous nickname: The Grim Reaper. A Combat Mech is crewed by a crew of two, one pilot (who is also the gunner for the two outer guns) and one navigator (who is the gunner for the two inner guns). Combat Mechs are known for their speed and agility, especially in rough terrain.

These are the changes I've made. I made sure that I maintained the proper space between sections, but maybe I should 've used the Tab key instead of the Enter key? :confused

EDIT: Oh, ignore the part about the resources, for some reason the entire text doesn't show up, but it's all as it's supposed to be.
            Last edited by Panzer; October 18, 2003, 03:28.

Comment

Panzer:

You need to have the exact same name of your PRTO entries in the editor, the Civilopedia.txt and the PediaIcons.txt

You seem to have called your first unit "PRTO_MechWalker" in the pediaicons.txt, and "PRTO_BattleMech" in the Civilopedia. The error may come simply from this
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yup, I seemed to have misnamed some files and both units are working properly right now. I just deleted everything and started over again, doing one unit at the time instead of both at the same time. All those mechs started to confuse me.

Comment

I actually use an extra longbowman unit to enable the Koreans to trigger their GA. I wasn't bothered about the Civilopaedia entry so I just added a new unit, kept the icon and entered the stats and referenced it to the same Civilopaedia entry as the original longbowman. It works perfectly.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                  X