Locked Alliances, and variations on the theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Alliances, and variations on the theme

Stupid question perhaps, but besides locked alliances, will Conquests also come with a locked wars option? In other words, make it impossible for two civs to declare peace?

What about locked neutralities? Switzerland not being able to declare war or get into an alliance with either Axis or Allied nations in WW2?

Also, does the locked alliance thing have to be a team-like situation? Axis vs Allies, seems obvious. Team A vs Team B. But will it also be possible to have Civ A in a locked alliance with Civ B and a locked war with Civ C & D, while Civ B has a locked war with Civ C but normal relations with Civ D, while Civ D is also in a locked war with Civ C?
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Considering how alliances have been done in Civ III, I wouldn't see an issue making a WW II scenario starting with Pearl Harbor that covers the entire globe.

(You can certaintely have USSR locked into an alliance with UK and USA against Germany while being outside the alliance fighting Japan.)

As for the netural parties in WW II like Swisterland, I wouldn't have a player represent present there, but would instead place some really strong defensive barb units that are immobile that no one is allowed to build.

What would be difficult under existing rules to similate is that neither the USSR nor the USA are unoffically in the WW II in 1939 and take until they are attacked to offically enter. And turning back the clock into Germany and Japan's expansions prior to the start of WW II would be even more difficult.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

It's common knowledge that the AI measures how much it likes a civ in points. If you're curious, it shows the points in debug mode.
      What would be really really nice is if you could make a permanent change to these in the editor. For example, in a Pacific World War scenario, the game calculates Japan's opinion of the US normally, but then adds 5 points to it. (points are bad.) That way, Japan doesn't like the US almost regardless, and will eventually attack them.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Yes, I think locked alliances also includes locked wars. Especially as they've said that the Japanese in the WWII Pacific scenario aren't able to go to peace with the Allies.

Comment

locked alliances includes the war locked options between the alliances. IIRC from what I've heard..
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

only between the alliances? is it possible for one nation to just have war with one other, while being allied to yet another civ who isn't at war with the second civ? (in other words, have Russia is allied to the US and UK, US and UK at war with Germany and Japan, Russia only at war with Germany).

if this is not possible, I see little reason to buy this expansion pack since scenario making would be far too limited.
            Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Will there be a way to make locked alliances switch during the game?

(I know there are no events, but maybe triggered by advances etc.)
              Last edited by statusperfect; September 22, 2003, 11:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                only between the alliances? is it possible for one nation to just have war with one other, while being allied to yet another civ who isn't at war with the second civ? (in other words, have Russia is allied to the US and UK, US and UK at war with Germany and Japan, Russia only at war with Germany).

if this is not possible, I see little reason to buy this expansion pack since scenario making would be far too limited.
                I think you can make that by
                1. An alliance between UK and US against Germany and Japan
                2. An alliance between UK, US and Russia against Germany

But once again this is what I've heard. You van have only one civ in an alliace if you want to...

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                  Will there be a way to make locked alliances switch during the game?
                  I don't think so, by the sounds of it they will be locked during the entire game.

Comment

Another question using WWII as an example:

If you start in 1939, can we set it so that Germany and America cannot ally, but can be at peace or at war?
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Not sure about that, but I doubt it...

Maybe if you disabled all alliance negotiation...

We will jaus have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                      X