Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WANTED: photographs, pictures, art me NOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: photographs, pictures, art me NOW!!

Hello there. I could use your help on a long-term project I've got going for Civ 3.

I don't like the icons in the Civilopedia, and I'm in the progress of replacing them with more photo-reaslistic versions. Where I can't get photo-realistic, I'm going for the next best thing: something more iconic, certainly less cartoon-like and, well, less crap really.

I ain't quitting til I'm done, either. here's just part of the big plan that's already finished.

Right now, I'm moving onto the units graphics. That's not the units you see on the map, just the icons of them in the civilopedia - the ones in your ...\Civilization III\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units folder.

What I'm after is any images you have that I can Photoshop into replacement icons. The Photoshop skills I can provide - learning new tricks all the time is part of the fun - but what I'm stuck for is a source of images.

Goes without saying that you won't have any photos of medieval knights or Roman legions, but maybe you know a re-enactment group or something like that which could provide an alternative.

Well, thanks for your time. Oh yeah, the best contributors - let's say the top five - will get a mention in the readme that ships with the final mod.
    A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Google image search should be a good resource.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
      Google image search should be a good resource.
      You would have thought so, but it hasn't been very helpful this time round.

'Is Apolyton going to be?', is the question.
      A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

C&C Generals has GREAT icons for military units (modern ones)

Infact, you should find a lot from those types of games.
        be free

Comment

Try to keep consistency in what you find, otherwise it might begin to suck.
          be free

Comment

What units do you need graphics for?
            Last edited by statusperfect; September 14, 2003, 10:29.

Comment

hmmm. I've tried making units from photos, and without sounding excessively pessimistic, it's impossible unless the photos were taken for that precise purpose. And it's even worse for animated units. I found some pictures of modern weapons testing on howitzers and so forth, but keeping the same consistent angle, lighting and exposure on each of the five facings (not to mention animation) will simply never occur unless this is exactly the thing intended. And I doubt that there has been any occasion to "model" - for want of a better term - all the units in Civ3 for 360-degree photoshoots.

Other than thatm, it is just a question of finding a game with art you like and finding a way to hack that out. But as Snoopy says, you'd be best off keeping consistent. If the game you need doesn't have them all, try the same game developer in the hopes they have similar art. But alas, most ancient age games have nothing more than concept and paintings to base their own units on, so getting realistic looking ancient/medieval units will be quite a challenge.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Thank you for all the replies, folks.

Originally posted by Sn00py
                C&C Generals has GREAT icons for military units (modern ones)

Infact, you should find a lot from those types of games.

Try to keep consistency in what you find, otherwise it might begin to suck.
                Sound advice - I don't want to lash out cash on new programs if I can avoid it, though.

But yes - good thinking - the cut 'n' paste method from other games' graphics might turn up the goods.

What units do you need graphics for?
                . All of them. I haven't really started out yet. I need replacements for every unit icon you'll find in the ...Civilization III\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units path.

hmmm. I've tried making units from photos, and without sounding excessively pessimistic, it's impossible unless the photos were taken for that precise purpose. And it's even worse for animated units. I found some pictures of modern weapons testing on howitzers and so forth, but keeping the same consistent angle, lighting and exposure on each of the five facings (not to mention animation) will simply never occur unless this is exactly the thing intended. And I doubt that there has been any occasion to "model" - for want of a better term - all the units in Civ3 for 360-degree photoshoots.
                Icons, friend Wombat. The Civilopedia Icons. Not the units themselves. Agreed that even replacing the icons-set will be hard enough, but it's do-able. Like I say, I've already managed to do it for all the tech icons in the Civilopedia.

But alas, most ancient age games have nothing more than concept and paintings to base their own units on, so getting realistic looking ancient/medieval units will be quite a challenge.
                True, that. I was hoping someone here might know the URL to a re-enactment group's site that staged medieval and ancient battles and capitalise from that, but even then, getting all the naval units would be hassle. And it's not like I haven't already spent hours ravaging Google trying to find sites just like that.

There's no rush, though. I mean, I'd be happy letting the project span out over months if that's what it takes. So yeah, if this thread sits here stale for ages, please do continue posting in here if you do find a source. I would appreciate it.

Comment

The UUs will be a VERY hard part

Comment

Ah icons. Yeah, re-enactments might be good then. I'll have a look.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                    X