Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install problems: could not extract support files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install problems: could not extract support files?

Hey.

Here's the beef: I uninstalled Civ 3 a while back, can't remember why. But now, when I try to reinstall, I get the error message 'Error extracting support files: Access is denied'. Then it does a quick 'uninstall' of whatever it thinks is there, and quits. But then, I try again, it goes through the same process again.

Every time I try to install, same issue. I've deleted all Infogrames and Civ files from the registry and of course there's nothing C Drive (and there hasn't been for about three months). Oddly enough, once it's done that, Autorun comes up on the CD and the option is there to Play or to Uninstall, but you can't click either.

This makes no sense to me. Either way, it's impossible to install. By the way, I'm on XP.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows a solution.

There is a folder called something like Infogrames Installation Support. It is a hidden folder. Try deleting this and then re-installing the game.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Couldn't find it, any idea where it is? I've deleted everything I can find with the name 'Infogrames', even empty stuff. Just tried it again, it thinks it's installed - it says I can play, uninstall or reinstall, but only re-install works. And when I do it, I get 'Error: Access is Denied' message again!

Can a standard XP search find a hidden folder just like that?

Edit: Nevermind, found the folder, talked to tech support, all sorted. Thanks for the help!
      Last edited by Topcatuk; September 8, 2003, 08:15.

Comment

Program files directory, but you wouldn't want to delete it enttierly, ans othere installers might store info there.

Just do delete the subfolders, which have a setup.ini file that includes the name Civilization or Civ or PTW somewhere (If you have amnny you may search).
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
        X