Latest Computer Games Magazine Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Computer Games Magazine Preview

Just got the latest issue in the mail. It's a one-page article that mostly mentions stuff we've already seen.

Three new things of note:

1. In the core game, the Man-O-War will have enslavement capability. I knew this was true of the privateer, but first I heard of it for the MOW.

2. There will be a Wonder victory condition (ie, "If you build it, you will win.") Article appears to be talking about the core game on this one.

3. In the scenarios, "the AI understands the map a lot more," and "the AI is considerably more aggressive on the conquests than it is in the full game."

Like I said, nothing else new in the article.

Personal note: this is my first post as a Prince!
    Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Re: Latest Computer Games Magazine Preview

Originally posted by Falconius
    1. In the core game, the Man-O-War will have enslavement capability. I knew this was true of the privateer, but first I heard of it for the MOW.
    Being as the MOW is the English specific unit, this doesn't surprise me. During the Age of Sail, especially late 18th and early 19th century, the English Royal Navy was somewhat notorious for acquiring sailors through indiscriminate use of the press-gang. In fact, one of the major causes of the War of 1812 between the US and English was the Royal Navy's habit of stopping US Merchantmen on the high seas and press-ganging crewmen from the merchies.

So an enslavement ability attached to the MOW makes sense.

Historical note: For those who haven't run across the term before, press-ganging was a somewhat informal recruitment method used at times by some of the European navies. They would send a party of armed men into a port or onto a stopped merchant ship and "recruit" sailors at gunpoint. Their standards were not often very high either. If someone could stand up, see lightning, and hear thunder, they were probably good enough for the press-gang. And I'm sure they were even a little lax on the standing up part when press-ganging in a tavern. Worries about loyalty amongst the new "recruits" typically weren't high either. The press-gang usually only got sent out when the ship was due to sail and still short hands, often because the good sailors all knew the ship was bound for India or the West Indies. And once they were out at sea mutiny was rarely a major concern, at least no more than it ever was.

Comment

Thanks for the info. So how will enslavement work in Civ?
      "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

According to some info by Panag in this thread on the knights templar as a wonder with enslavement the victorious unit will convert the defeated enemy into workers.

There is also a lot of other good info in that particular post.

Comment

However, for Privateers, they turn enemy ships into their own conscript ships
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
            However, for Privateers, they turn enemy ships into their own conscript ships
            Yes, I thought I read that somewhere. I imagine it would be the same for the MOW. A ship turning into workers makes little sense.
            Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

I wonder if Privateers will turn the ships into Hidden Nationality conscripts

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the goal of the Mesopotamian Scenario is to build certain wonders, when you've built them, the game ends (This might be the "Wonder Victory"). I'll see if I can find this info.

Comment

I hope the MoW turns ships into workers. The workers would simply be the crew of the enemy ship; that would be much more useful.
                "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Much as I would like to see the MOW and Privateer converting to workers, I suspect they will more likely convert to some sort of ship.

Simply because convert to worker would require some sort of handling of non-transport ships as transport capable, appearance of workers in some city or something else equally bizarre. Ship-to-ship conversion would tend to hold the least amount of difficulty in deciding how to handle it and code it up. Not to mention that there is no saying that the conversion has to be to the ship-type of the capturer. Perhaps MOWs will convert enslaved ships to frigates or galleons.

Comment

I wonder if Privateers will turn ships into Privateers (to eliminate the possibility of being discovered)

Comment

Re: Latest Computer Games Magazine Preview

Originally posted by Falconius
                      Just got the latest issue in the mail. It's a one-page article that mostly mentions stuff we've already seen.

Three new things of note:

2. There will be a Wonder victory condition (ie, "If you build it, you will win.") Article appears to be talking about the core game on this one.

3. In the scenarios, "the AI understands the map a lot more," and "the AI is considerably more aggressive on the conquests than it is in the full game."

Like I said, nothing else new in the article.

Personal note: this is my first post as a Prince!

congrats!

Regarding the MOW, I think this is great. Maybe now it'll be a useful unit.

Regarding the conquests, I think it's cool we can now tailor the AI in a scenario (more than just altering civ prefs).

Comment

Don't forget the Man of War stopping a US Naval Frigate and forcing two or three US Sailors onto their ship at bayonett point.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Enslavement sounds great . We'll see it in the editor as a flag, right?
                          cIV list: cheats
                          Now watch this drive!

Comment

I think the conscript ships will mostly be disbanded for the shields... i guess that makes it a bit historical

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                              Enslavement sounds great . We'll see it in the editor as a flag, right?
                              They've said repeatedly that all the stuff found in a Scenario will be available in the editor.

Comment

Working...
                              X