problem with 1.29f patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with 1.29f patch

I just downloaded the 1.29 patch for Civ III and installed it, but when I re-opened the game, there was a problem with the text. At the bottom of the initial menu screen, instead of having Firaxis' legal info, it was quotes from various parts of the game (endgame, diplomacy, etc).
    I tried to start a new game, but the menu text was severly messed up. None of the labels were correct - most were jumbled from where they should have been on the screen and were next to the wrong buttons. Also, the styles of palaces were written across the screen.
    During gameplay, text on the city screen and status box in the lower righthand corner were similarly incoherent.
    Has anyone run across this problem before or know what can be done about it?
    I tried reinstalling the patch, but to no avail. I also tried restarting the CPU, but nothing. Instead, I had to reinstall the entire game, and am forced to keep playing with the maddening bugs in the original version.
    Please help!

I seem to recall some issues with the order that patches were applied in CivIII. It has been a long time, since I have PTW.
    PTW will patch CivIII up to 1.29f.
    So I guess what is the level of the game after it is instealled, before any patch? Do you then just apply 1.29 on top or do you have other patches applied first?
    Have you looked at Firaxis to see if any of these issues are known?

Comment

I just have the regular Civ3, not PTW. After installing the patch, the startup screen says that version 1.29f is running. I checked with Firaxis' online tech support page, but there was nothing like this mentioned on it.

Comment

Settler,

I think each patch includes all previous patches. Sometimes you can patch on top but sometimes you have to do clean install and then latest patch.

Worth a try anyway.

Comment

I thought about that...I gave it another shot the other day and reinstalled the game before I tried to add the patch. Same thing. I was trying to upgrade from 1.07f (that's the original, right?). Up to this point in time, I have been without internet at home, so this has been the first opportunity I've had to download the patch.

Comment

Does anyone know where to get this patch? And I'm not playing Civ3 PTW yet either, Just Civ3.

Comment

You can find it through Firaxis or Avault to name a few.

Comment

There was a problem with a certain font that screwed things up. Lucinda Sans I believe, though I'm not entirely sure. Do a search on that to find a thread that deals with the problem. You'll have to go way back though, it hasn't been an issue for quite awhile. At any rate, it can be fixed.

Comment

See if this helps?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I found It at GameCopyWorld and so the problem is solved, Now I can sell the Iomega Zip CD650 CDRW drive of Mine, While I wait for My NEC 1100A DVD+R Drive that replaces It.

Comment

@zoom, if I were you, I would edit that link out of my post, the mods here don't really appreciate linking to that URL...
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                      X