Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible?

Hey, I'm new here. Let me just put this up front right now: I am a Mac user and I don't have PTW and I will never have it or Conquests unless of course it is released in the near future (I stand by my "never" comment ).

Anyway, I'm looking into modding/scenario-creation. I did a lot with Civ2 that I never released (back when I had a PC). I would just edit files and such and play with stuff. The whole Civ3 creation scene looks pretty cool.

I have a question as to if something is possible. Would it be possible (and call me crazy for asking) to make still units, like in Civ2? Units that didn't have animations, basically. Perhaps only death and fortify animations, but no movement animations (or perhaps none at all). My reason for asking this is that when I create a scenario I would like to draw my own units or create them somehow, though I have no knowledge of animating them (I've read the tutorial; I'm retarded in this sort of thing). I also think it might be kind of cool to have a Civ2-sorta-thing mixed in with Civ3. The graphics for the terrain, cities, people, etc. are very beautiful, and some "still-life" units wouldn't take away from the game, in my opinion. I actually hated way back when when Civ2: TOT animated units.

If anyone is curious, the ideas for scenarios I have right now are pretty complex in plot, and so I won't be able to do them for a long while (not until Mac gets an editor that can place cities and units, and maybe even not possible at all considering there are no events files and if there are in Conquests, they won't be open to the Mac). I'm intrigued and always have been by ancient stuff, and heavy stories/plots to take a player on a journey. So right now my ideas include something along the lines of the player controlling a band of heroes in a Greek mythology atmosphere (or perhaps choose one myth and go with it). I have some ideas for a fantasy world too, a Pelopponesian War scenario of some sort, Roman expansion, a scenario about a fictional Viking hero, or maybe the Viking adventure to the New World, and a scenario about a renegade submarine in the Cold War.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if the idea is unappetizing, it'd be neat to just try it out.

Yes, it's possible to create static working units (I'm doing it right now). It's easy. Get Flicster. Open an old unit or start a new one. Make it only ONE frame when you esxport it to storyboard. Just remember to keep the necessary animations (I forgot what they are).

Conquests is coming out in October or so, and it includes all the Play the World stuff and more, so get Conquests instead of PTW (you'll waste money otherwise) although with Firaxis's track record, I can't promise that it will ever come out on Mac.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help. Yeah, I doubt it will be released on Mac (definitely not very soon) so I have to work with what I have or can potentially have. I want to make all scenarios compatible with both PCs and Macs, and I'm sure in the near future Mac-users will develop some tools (we already have some).

I'll try this out and post if I have any problems.

Comment

Working...
      X