No announcement yet.

Updating old mods to new Civ3 versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating old mods to new Civ3 versions?

I noticed that there are a wad of mods made specifically for older versions of Civ3, often 1.17f. In at least a few circumstances, the mods refuse to work with more recent patches. I'm using 1.29f, and I tried installing the MonsterMan mod, which seemed really promising, but it required 1.17f, and the only patches I could find on the net were 1.16f and 1.29f (I think there was a 1.21 or something like that, too). On 1.16, the mod was crashy, and on 1.29, the bic refused to load because the mod had more map sizes than the patch allowed.

Here's the original stuff regarding this mod:

M3 home page: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/
    Apolyton entry: http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=4265&cat=45
    Original discussion: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=42945

Anyway, I loaded the bic file into the 1.29f version of Civ3Edit, and I resaved it, and after making changes to one of the text files (the one that tells the image file paths associated to variables such as "TECH_Bronze_Working"), the mod is working pretty well. There are a couple little glitches (the little pictures in the city screen for luxury resources aren't quite right), but it's working rather nicely, almost all the features from the original mod were retained and passing it through the editor apparently cleaned it entirely of the crash problems it used to have.

If anybody is interested in an updated "civ3mod.bic" file and "Text" directory, let me know and I'll put it up somewhere, assuming that MonsterMan isn't ticked off that I'm fooling around with his mod.

I wanted to know, though, if there is a faq somewhere around here that details the pitfalls of and shortcuts for updating mods to new patch versions. I'm finding that I really like this MonsterMan mod, so I may make my next step to update it for the latest PtW version, but I'd like to know of any good warnings I should heed before the fact.

I'm also going to have to read up on general mod creation, as I have to fix the arrows on the F6 screen and maybe get the extra map size working, but any recommendations before I start going through the tomes here would delight me.

--
    -JC

PS: Sorry if I'm rambling a bit. ADD and associated drugs. ^_^

1.17f is a version of PtW I think. Unless I'm mistaken (how old is Monsterman's mod ?), it is very possible that this mod is only PtW compatible.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

> 1.17f is a version of PtW I think. Unless I'm mistaken (how old is Monsterman's mod ?),
      > it is very possible that this mod is only PtW compatible.

Various versions of the mod were posted in February and March of 2002.

But it does work pretty well with Civ3 1.29f now that I converted it.

And, oops, it looks like the traffic to his site from my link poofed the account. Sorry about that. :/

If anybody wants the data files for this mod, let me know.

--
      -JC

Comment

Working...
      X