Scenario Preview: X-COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario Preview: X-COM

I have a long preview for this on the CFC, but since it is close to the betatest stage I decided to give a preview here too, for those who visit mainly Poly

Ok, this is called "X-COM: Invasion" and it will be a kind of X-COM meets Civ3. Of course many elements of the X-COM games cannot be used in Civ3, but it should be fun to play anyway. You take the role of the commander of the X-COM force to fight against evil aliens invading our planet

It plays on a 140x140 earth map (by Kal-El), has 10civs, but only the X-COM is playable. Your main opponent will be of course the aliens, but there are also other human civs.

The game will start 2017, so at the beginning most human civs will have equipment known today, but they will be able to develop some nice scifi stuff later. X-COM and the aliens will have of course their own units.

Graphically it is oriented on the first X-Com TBS games, but I changed the 50ies-style look to a more dark hitech style. So you´ll see Mutons, Snakemen or Sectoids, but they look a bit different from those of the X-Com games.

Here are some preview screens (they look a little better in the game - jpeg reduction):

Blah

this looks very sweet can;t wait

Comment

Like I thought when reading the CFC thread, I'm flabbergasted This job is really, really impressive. I wasn't aware before that you had such a graphical talent
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

What is X-COM?

Very nice mod, BTW

Comment

X-Com was a series of cool TBS games by Microprose. Those games had a lot of "Civ-elements". You had to intercept Alien UFOs, then you lead a squad of your X-Com agents (which you could personally equip) to examine the chrashed/shut down/landed UFO, kill the aliens, get their technology. Your success lead to more financial support by several governments, which you needed to buy more weapons or hire new soldiers, scientists or technicians. You also had to do research for better equipment, and you could build more of your x-com bases with a lot of different facilities. There were three X-Com TBS games (those were the best games of the series), a 3d space simulator a la wing commander, and one ego shooter.
          Blah

Comment

Oh, ok. Thanks! I'd heard a lot of people make references to 'X-COM', good to know what it was about.

Comment

Beautiful, count me in. Good to see anything X-Com.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Today we started play testing

Depending on how many things need to be fixed I hope the release is not that far away. Certainly before C3C is out

Here are some more screenshots - all four tech screens:

Blah

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

This mod is totally sweet. And by sweet, I mean totally cool
                    Having changed the text entries of the science advisor was an excellent and refreshing idea

BTW, to play the smartass , I think this is the main "threat", and not the main "thread" that comes from outer space (in screen 4)
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Yeah, you are right - no time to change it currently....must be something freudian, maybe I thought of Poly threads when making this

BTW, one thing I should mention is that I have no idea at the moment if this scenario would run on other versions than US PTW. Once we are through the tests I would need probably some help of people who own other (language) versions since I can´t test this myself - I only have the US version.
                      Blah

Comment

I have the UK version. Maybe you should post at Civ3.de when it's complete. I'm sure there are plenty of people interested.

Besides, I'm registered at the French site thegrenouille.com (didn't post there in a looooong time), so I could ask if anybody wants to test it.

Comment

If you are going to release it before C3C it would be good to know if the release will mess it up any when it does come out.
                          Is PTW required? I never bought that.
                          Does it use fixed alliances? It wouldn't be right to have X-Com fighting multiple Earth nations.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't work on other versions.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                              I don't see why it wouldn't work on other versions.
                              I think some directory names, .ini names and things like that don't have the same name. It may be worth it to test before shipping it.

Comment

Working...
                              X