A nice trick with the upgrade path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nice trick with the upgrade path

If this is known already, please just let me know.

The problem I always had about the upgrade path was that I did not want all units to be upgradeable. I included an Iron Frigate and the standard Frigate should upgrade to that, but then is end. No Iron Frigate -> Destroyer (this does not seem realistic). Or Cavalry -> Tank, nevertheless you want the cavalry to become obsolete with the tank.
    But when you dont specify an upgrade unit the iron frigate will be able to be built forever leaving you with quite a sum of "obsolete" units in the modern times.

The solution to that would be to specify an upgrade unit, but deactivate the upgrade button. That way the unit becomes obsolete with the discovery of the new unit but cannot upgrade to it!

The only problem is that the civilopedia entry for the unit will say that it upgrades to that certain unit. But I guess its sufficent to add civilopedia entries to notice the player that this unit will not upgrade despite what is written below.
    Firaxis could help if they checked if the button was set and if not (despite having an upgrade unit) do not state that the unit can be upgraded.

Also there is one thing that needs to be checked: Wether the AI also sticks to the option of the upgrade button or not. Because then human players would not be allowed to upgrade, while the AI can do.
    I didnt notice that yet and I guess thats not so easy to check.

If the AI is not bound to the available option of the upgrade button this would of course seriously hamper this otherwise nice workaround. Would be the job of Firaxis to correct this then.

ata

IIRC disabling the upgrade button still keeps U and Shift-U enable for upgrades
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

u does not work, but shift-u does

Comment

Working...
      X