• Show
Clear All

• SCENARIO: Korean War 1950-1953

Korean War Scenario

The download link:

Updated 8-17-03

Extract to : CivIII\CIV3PTW\Scenarios folder

Dedicated Forum:

Please use the forum as much as possible. Especially for bug and error reporting.

I am very pleased to announce the release of the 2 player Korean War Scenario.

World War II divided Korea into a Communist, northern half and an American-occupied southern half, divided at the 38th parallel. The Korean War (1950-1953) began when the North Korean Communist army crossed the 38th Parallel and invaded non-Communist South Korea.

Play as one of 2 factions battling for ground and ideology.

The scenario begins in September 1950. The United Nations are reeling from defeat after defeat. They have been backed in to what became known as the Pusan perimeter. Here the United Nations forces were told to hold the line or die trying. There would be no further retreats.

Simultaneously, General MacArthur had just completed his surprise invasion of the port city Inchon. Here he predicted that he would smash the North Korean forces between the hammer and anvil. The North Koreans are cut off from resupply. The Chinese are poised to enter the war.

You have your choice of being the Communists or the United Nations.

This is a victory point location game there are two victory points in the United Nations and Communist cities. In addition there are two victory point locations to fight over at the 38th parallel.

The goal is to control as much ground as possible at the end of the three year time limit. The turns are in weeks.

Features

All United Nations units are named for their real life counterparts. They are in their exact or approximate locations.

Ditto for 90%+ of Communist forces.

Improvements and few Wonders renamed and retooled:

Buildings: Capitol Building, Warehouse, Command Post, Supply Depot, Observation Post, Radio Station, Defensive Emplacements, Water Storage Tanks, Fuel Storage Tanks, Worship Center, Tunnel Network, Ammunition Depot, Steel Fabrication Plant, Fortified Bunkers, Oil Storage Depot, Munitions Factory, Railroad Depot, Shore Battery, Electric Power Complex, Floating Cranes, & Military Police Post.

Wonders: Logistics, Human Wave Tactics, UN & Communist Order of Battle

All of the city improvements have been updated in the Civlopedia text if you are curious what they do.

New sounds for some units. My favorite are the artillery pieces. The shells can now be heard screaming down before impact.

Your given an army, air force, and "navy". These troops are all precious. There will be no major reinforcements.

You may take a very lengthy option of training veteran troops or simply draft citizens off the streets. You can fill the ranks quick but their quality will be poor.

Do to limitations by the editor you must declare war immediately whether you want to or not for the accuracy to be maintained. This war was three months old at this point in real life.

Use your forces wisely, quickly, and without mercy and victory can be yours! :goodjob:

I will have a forum up in a few days. Please give me some feedback or suggestions. Thanks

Choose your side the American Imperialists or the Chinese Reds

UN destroyers, cruisers, and aircraft carriers enroute to Korea.

Marines recapture Seoul.

Elements of the US 2nd and 25th Divsions close in on Chinju.

DPRK 4th artillery and 103rd tank regiment catch ROK 53rd and 55th tank companies out in the open.

Chinese Mig 15's arrive in Pyongyang to take the battle to the American imperialists. The first all jet battles in history are about to begin.

UN commanders would be wise not to forget the massive size of the Chinese People's Volunteers.

Last edited by J Grigsby; August 17, 2003, 10:02.

Wow, this is a most impressive job
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Thanks

If you have any problems running the scenario download it again. Some people complained that it crashed. I apparently didn't zip it perfectly. I guess novice users (Like me) couldn't cope with it. The veteran users made a couple of corrections and it worked for them.

Comment

Well, I don't know if I'll play the scenario because war scenarios aren't too much my type (I'm a builder player). But I'm really baffled by the historical research and the hugeness of this scenario.

It must have demanded an unfathomable amount of work and determination. And that's really, really impressive
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed I only edit, I havent played in about 6 months.

I had planned the scenario long ago but at the time there was no map and only a few units available. So it's been ongoing for about 6 months with the last 2-3 very actively putting it and the 6 player version together.

Comment

Gorgeous.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Thanks

Always looking for feedback. Does the scenario crash etc. etc.

Any other problems that escaped my notice?

Comment

great job!

Comment

Superior work! Tremendously outstanding!
                  BTW: Your name rings a bell. Do you have any past credits?
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Credits?

Just an update the scenario is on track for a re-release on Sunday with new units and some stability screw ups worked out.

I do have a previous credit. I'll just not mention it as it was really weak.

Comment

My mistake. I checked into it and found out that I had you mixed up with Gary Grigsby, who did the old PC game Pacific War (and some old SPI games).
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

haha, it's a great work, we can revive an old dream in that old time.

Central Kindom & United States are both heavy in hand.

Comment

Wonderful! If you made a WWII scenario of the same quality, I'd imediatelly download it...

Comment

And a question,

why US don't use ACBM in this war ?

Just ten of these, US would win undoubted.

Comment

Originally posted by fanes7
                              And a question,

why US don't use ACBM in this war ?

Just ten of these, US would win undoubted.
                              Kind of hard to bomb a country into the stone age when they were already there. What would we have targeted? Besides, most of our assets were concentrated around Europe where we were more concerned with what the Russians may do than with a regional conflict like in Korea.

BTW - I am curious. If you, like the flag you display, are Chinese then I was wondering what the histories you learn say about that conflict.

Comment

Working...
                              X