Idea for a great mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for a great mod

after perusing the mod section of this site, i've seen a lot of good ideas, but no one mod that umbrella's them all into one playable mod.

Having no expereince with civ III (all of my modding has been with Civ CTP), i've decided to list as many of my ideas as possible in the hope that someone can use them to make a better Civ 3.

-Resources

takeing a cue from the caesar series, what is bonuis resources like wines and furs appeared as raw materials, such as grapes or game animals. A city with those resources in it's area could buuild a special building like a vineyard or tanner's workshop or something to use those materials. You could then have finished products like wine be much more valuable.

alternately, make a new workler ability to construct things lie vineyards or shaft mines to take raw materials and convert them on the spot into the finished product.

take some cues from call to power...make a sea improving unit that can make tunnels in shallow water and construct drilling rigs over oil sqares in the seabed.

Also, there should be many more resources. The strategic resources idea is wonderful, but doesn't go into enough detail. Civilizations were born, lived, and died based on the resources they controlled. (Oil in the middle east, for instance)

so, i suggest several new resources:

copper, (and possibly tin ) to make bronze..

some kind of special city improvement to make steel ou of iron.

forest as a source of charcoal for gunpowder (charcoal sulfur, saltpeter)

crude oil, especially in sea squares, that must be refined through a city improvement in your trade network. this must be a prerequisite for most modern improvements and units....the uses for petroleum are too numerous to name in this post.

other metals such as nickel, zinc, titanium, possibly as bonus resources.

salt as an ancient luxury

marble, or some kind of special stone as a luxry or bonus

have a modern technology which can use vbegetable oils and products as a crude replacement for petroleum....say "organic fuels". then, have a special city improvement that "refines" biomass into things like ethanol, deisel oil, etc. it doesn't need petroleum, but consumes food units.

silicon as a bonus or stretegic resource

-General improvements:

make power plants and sewers a requirement to grow a city beyond say 18 pop units. Electricity pretty much makes modern living possible, and so should have a much greater wieght in the modern age. People should be unhappy without electricity...say if the failure of a powerplant causes a blackout. conversely, the powerplant should add happy faces...after all, though we take it for granted, electricity really is quite a luxury.

possibly add a municipal maintenace cost for large cities, which is of course a side effect of growth.

i like these mods that enhance modern units...they should be faster, more powerful, etc. i'd definitely incorporate those changes.

that's a start...i'll have more ideas soon enough, and post them here when i do....i am extremely open to suggestions and criticism. the goal of this mod is have everyone's best ideas in one mod.

Another idea for electricity consumption model.

consider trade network = power liones. In other words, if a city is connected via land trade route, it has access to the power grid. Each citizen consumes a unit of electricity. I;nm not sure how to make industry consume electricity, maybe 1 unite per x amount of base sheilds produced. then, each powerplant in the trade network could produce so much power. it would take maintanace and a steady supply of either coal or oil or uranoum to run the oower plants, so if you ahd them it would be a big boost. the flipside is, people would be unhappy without power once you discover it.

Comment

There are some several good ideas listed here. I think it would be great if, instead of just needing a road to a resource(let's say Iron) you would need to also build an Iron mine on top of it. Off-shore drilling platforms would be a nice feature as well.

Comment

However, a lot of that stuff isn't possible in a mod.

Comment

I'm well aware that most of this stuff isn't possible now....maybe it'll be there in civ 4 or something. But if there's a way to go beyond the civ editor, and program your own function, attributes, etc. it would make modding possibilities a lot more extensive. that's the thing im most curious about. CTP had SLIC programming, which was great, if limited....we need something like that for CIV 3

Comment

One of the civ3 developers said (I'm working from memory here) "The only power scripting languages gives users is the power to create bugs"

Comment

Working...
            X