Key Re-maps, Starting Locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Re-maps, Starting Locations

I'm going to be on the road in Africa for several months and will have only my laptop with me. Said laptop has no number pad. Is there a way to re-map the number pad unit movement functions and bind them to different keys?

Also, when playing scenarios downloaded from the official Civ 3 page, regardless of what race I play, my starting position does not change. No amount of trying to randomize my starting location seems to help with this problem and it's a bit boring to start in the same place every single time, but I like playing the various "earth" maps.

I'm playing with Civ 3 patched to the latest version, but without the "Play the World" expansion. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure about the number pad problem.

As for the scenarios, I haven't heard of that problem. Not sure if the plain civ3 editor can do this but try opening the file and changing the starts, maybe there is a start set to player 1?
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Decepticons:
      I have a laptop too, and I have to move my units either with the mouse or while pressing the "Fn" key. It's not convenient, so I prefer the mouse.

If you want to play on random starting location on scenarios, you should try to remove all starting locations in the editor, in order to have a fully random start.
      If you want to toggle between several fixed starting positions, you should follow Sheik's advice: the location you always start from must be player specific rather than civ-specific. In the editor, edit this starting position so that it becomes Civ-specific, or completely unspecified.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

hi ,

dec , first thing you do is buy ptw , its great , ya gona love it , especially the editor

yes you can get a side number pad , just check some online stores

if you really like a good world map that aint to small , try the one from el mencey , www.apolyton.net/directory/

the best one around

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I've been playing civ 3 on a laptop ever since it came out. I use the 4 arrows for my east-west, north-south movement. Without having to do anything special, the "home" key is already programed to be the NW direction, the "PgUp" key is the NE direction, the "End" key is the SW direction and the "PgDn" key is the SE direction. This was mention in one of the very first readme when the game originaly came out. I've also used it with PTW since it's commed out.

Have a good trip!
          Go BIG or go home.

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X