CIV: the Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV: the Mali

The Mali built an empire on the West African savannah, from deep within the continent (Timbuktu) to the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. The Mali reached the height of their power during the 13th and 14th century. It raised on the decay of the Ghana empire, and fell by the hands of the Songhay empire.

Their empire was known for the trade done with the Arabs (most notably the gold trade), and for its stability.

Since it spanned over the territory of both other Western African Civs cumulated, I thought the Mali would be a good representative for Western Africa Civs in general.

Here, the Mali Civ is Religious / Commercial. It starts with Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial.
    UU : Bowman (just like the Babylonians)
    Color : Light brown
    Its ruler is Kango Musa
    Great Leaders are Sundjata, Sumangaru, and Suleyman Keita.
    Favorite government: Monarchy. Shunned government: Communism.
    Leaderhead : Shaka. Civilopedia article : Zulus.
    They are an added Civ, and do not replace any Civ that already exists.
    This mod only adds the Mali Civ, and can only be played with PtW. I hope you'll enjoy it

The cities of the Mali are :
    Timbuktu
    Niani
    Djenné
    Gao
    Djeliba
    Oualata
    Alata
    Awdaghosr
    Sosso
    Wagadou
    Mema
    Kita
    Karanina
    Bamako
    Siguiri
    Kankan
    Kouroussa
    Attached Files
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

If you're interested: I've made a large city list for the Mali civ. However, in the lower part, the list also includes Hausa and other west african cities.:

Timbuktu
    Jenne Jeno
    Gao
    Koumbi Saleh
    Walata
    Gobir
    Kebbi
    Agades
    Tadmekka
    Zamfara
    Bamako
    Zakzak
    Sansara
    Takedda
    Quri Mansa
    Segou
    Kano
    Daura
    Wadene
    Kangaba
    Awlil
    Es-Souk
    Niani
    Tawdenni
    Birni Gazargamo
    Sokoto
    Koukya
    Taghaza
    Wagadugu
    Kumasi
    Kabara
    Idjil
    Zaghari
    Mima
    Tuwat
    Katsina
    Kita
    Massina
    Arawane
    Kukawa
    Nampala
    Kara Sakho
    Buda
    Kayes
    Yufe
    Zagha
    Kahir
    Azelik
    Kaedi
    Zaria
    Awdaghost
    Diabali
    Sijilmasa
    Odienne
    Tasarahla
    Kankan
    Jujuwat
    Kiffa
    Pita
    Bobo Jwlasso
    Kong
    Chinguetti
    Begho
    Bono Manso
    Sansanding
    Say
    Bussa
    Oyo
    Lokoja
    Ilorin
    Ife
    Benin
    Ezira
    Ke
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Thanks !
      I think I'll add your city list when I'll change the mod, except that I'll put Niani second (to continue the Zulu tradition : have the big and famous city first, and the actual capital of the civ in question second, like Zimbabwe and Ulundi).

I'll also add Samory as another Great Leader. Sure he didn't belong to the Mali empire proper, but IIUC, he belongs to the manding population, which is the ethnic group underlying the Mali.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Are you sure the bowman is the best unit to portray Mali's military might?

In my mind a horseman, with chain mail and quilted armour, and either a spear or a sword or bow and arrow would be a more appropriate unit. It was Mali's wealth from gold and slave and salt trading that enabled it to purchase chain mail and horses and achieve ascendancy over societies with less wealth.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Well, actually I thought a bowman would reflect the manding (sp?) military tradition more accurately. The height of the Mali empire lasted only 2 centuries, and the time where they could use Arab-imported cavalries was even less.

However, the Kingdom of Mali (and its base ethnical group the Manding) was much older, and continued to exist until today, ever after it stopped being a great empire. During this whole period, the Manding people became military elites in the lands populated by other ethnies, and their favored weapon was the bow.

According to Valentin Fernandes, the bow was the symbol of the Manding military spirit. Moreover, the bow was magically charged, as it takes a great place in the epics of Sundjata, and was used in initiation rites such as hunting.

(you may be interested by http://www.mande.net , where I found most of my info about the Mali and the Manding. However, it is only in French)

Comment

Great links molly! Especially the "fanaticus.org" link is great!
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Hey, Wernazuma III, thanks for the list. If you have any more, feel free to post 'em in that Database thread and I'll add them.

Comment

Although I don’t disagree with you about the role of the bowman (and his semi-sacred aspect), if you look at Mali in the longer West African historical perspective you’ll note that its most prestigious predecessor (Ghana), its immediate successor (Songhai) and other powerful states to the south (Oyo), based their expansion and might on armed cavalry.

It’s interesting that Mali was able to beat the Tuaregs to the formation of skilled large cavalry formations, due mainly to the profits from salt and gold trading, and also the slave and kola nut trade. I also find it interesting that the successor state to Mali, Songhai, could be beaten by a relatively small force of Moroccan army and Tuareg mercenaries- armed with a few light artillery pieces and flintlock muskets, at a time when Songhai had used its cavalry to enforce its rule over a diverse ethnic patchwork quilt of peoples.

As Roland Oliver puts it in ‘The African Experience’ publ. Pimlico edn., 1993:

‘...the pastoralists had horses, and even though they had to be ridden bareback and with bitless bridles, the small horses long indigenous in the Sahara and the Sahel were an effective aid in slave-catching.
                When supplemented by the big Barbary horses of North Africa, complete with saddles and stirrups, with proper harness and padded horse-armour, and with suits of chain-mail for the riders, cavalry became the decisive, unstoppable weapon against all who were not similarly armed.’
                Chapter 8, p.98.

See also R.C.C. Law, ‘The Horse in West African History’, and H.J. Fisher in ‘The Journal of African History’, vol.13, publ. 1972

Leo Africanus:

THE KINGDOM OF MALI

In this kingdom there is a large and ample village containing more than six thousand families, and named Mali, which is also the name of the whole kingdom. Here the king has his residence.

THE CITY OF TIMBUKTU

All its houses are ... cottages, built of mud and covered with thatch. However, there is a most stately mosque to be seen, whose walls are made of stone and lime, and a princely palace also constructed by the highly skilled craftsmen of Granada. This region yields great quantities of grain, cattle, milk, and butter, but salt is very scarce here, for it is brought here by land from Tegaza, which is five hundred miles away. When I was there, I saw one camel-load of salt sold for eighty ducats.
                The rich king of Timbuktu has many plates and scepters of gold, some of which weigh 1,300 pounds, and he keeps a magnificent and well-furnished court. When he travels anywhere, he rides upon a camel, which is led by some of his noblemen. He does so likewise when going to war, and all his soldiers ride upon horses. Whoever wishes to speak to this king must first of all fall down before his feet and then taking up earth must sprinkle it on his own head and shoulders. ... [The king] always has under arms 3,000 horsemen and a great number of foot soldiers who shoot poisoned arrows. They often skirmish with those who refuse to pay tribute and whomever they capture they sell to the merchants of Timbuktu. Here very few horses are bred. ... Their best horses are brought out of North Africa. As soon as the king learns that any merchants have come to the town with horses, he commands that a certain number be brought before him. Choosing the best horse for himself, he pays a most liberal price for it....

THE TOWN AND KINGDOM OF GA0

The king of this region has a certain private palace in which he keeps a large number of concubines and slaves, who are watched by eunuchs. To guard his person he maintains a sufficient troop of horsemen and foot soldiers. Between the first gate of the palace and the inner part, there is a walled enclosure wherein the king personally decides all of his subjects controversies. Although the king is most diligent in this regard and conducts all business in these matters, he has in his company counsellors and such other officers as his secretaries, treasurers, stewards and auditors.
                It is a wonder to see the quality of merchandise that is daily brought here and how costly and sumptuous everything is. Horses purchased in Europe for ten ducats are sold here for forty and sometimes fifty ducats apiece.

THE KINGDOM OF BORNO

They have a most powerful prince. ... He has in readiness as many as three thousand horsemen and a huge number of foot soldiers; for all his subjects are so serviceable and obedient to him, that whenever he commands them, they will arm themselves and will follow him wherever he leads them. They pay him no tribute except tithes on their grain; neither does the king have any revenues to support his state except the spoils he gets from his enemies by frequent invasions and assaults. He is in a state of perpetual hostility with a certain people who live beyond the desert of Seu, who in times past marching with a huge army of footsoldiers over the said desert, devastated a great part of the Kingdom of Borno. Whereupon the king sent for the merchants of Barbary and ordered them to bring him a great store of horses: for in this country they exchange horses for slaves, and sometimes give fifteen or twenty slaves for a horse. And by this means there were a great many horses bought although the merchants were forced to stay for their slaves until the king returned home as a conqueror with a great number of captives, and satisfied his creditors for his horses. Frequently it happens that the merchants must stay three months before the king returned from the wars. ... Sometimes he does not bring home enough slaves to satisfy the merchants and sometimes they are forced to wait a whole year. ... And yet the king seems marvelously rich, because his spurs, bridles, platters, dishes, pots and other vessels are made of gold. The king is extremely covetous and would rather pay his debts in slaves rather than gold.

Source: Leo Africanus, "History and Description of Africa," in Alfred Andrea and James Overfield, eds. The Human Record: Sources in Global History, Volume II, 3rd Edition (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1998): 46-49.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Calgacus II
                  Hey, Wernazuma III, thanks for the list. If you have any more, feel free to post 'em in that Database thread and I'll add them.
                  At CFC I'm known as Nahuixtelotzin.

Comment

Molly Bloom:
                    Thanks for the descriptions by Leo Africanus, I haden't read those before (I guess mande.net has its shortcomings too )
                    Actually, I've looked at pictures of current Timbuktu, Jenne and Gao, and there seem to be pretty solid elements of the traditional "Sudanese" architectural style. If anybody is interested in making an African cultural group, those are buildings to consider (theMosque of Jenne is an absolute must)

BTW, while we're at it, I suggest you to read the Epics of Sundjata. It is worth a read, and I hope I'll see some kind of African peplum movie about this legend one day .

Now, more to the point. I now think you are right ert knights as Malian UU. Indeed, the UU is to represent the height of a country's military power, rather than its military tradition. As such, cavalries deserve to be Malian UU (besides, it'll help dispel the conception that African empires were always primitive). However, I wonder what would such a knight do. Ignore jungle and forests move costs ? Might be convenient, but not really great.

BTW, could you please help me with my English ? I have no idea if the correct adjective would be "Mali" or "Malian", and I don't know if the correct noun would be "Mali" or "Malians". Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

At CFC I'm known as Nahuixtelotzin.
                      Nahuixtelotzin...yeah, I know. I just have problems spelling that. If you look at the new lists, you'll see that your lists are Wernazuma III/ Nahuixtelotzin

Comment

I got some Polynesian list which you don't have yet. Beside from that, I guess you got all my lists.

Papeete
                        Honolulu
                        Honiara
                        Hailua Kona
                        Hilo
                        Suva
                        Wanganui
                        Samoa
                        Tonga
                        Noumea
                        Nauru
                        Funafuti
                        Fiji
                        Bairiki
                        Parihaka
                        Palau
                        Ngaruawahia
                        Rapa Nui
                        Rarotonga
                        Vanuatu
                        Pohape
                        Wewak
                        Maui
                        Kauai
                        Molokai
                        Tokelau
                        Mangarewa
                        Kiribati
                        Tuvalu
                        Hokitika
                        Manapouri
                        Akaroa

Comment

wow ..... interesting
                          nice job Spiffor

Comment

Working...
                          X