CIV: The Scots of Alba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV: The Scots of Alba

DOn't expect too much, this is just a replaced civ ...but...fancy playing a game as the Scots? Or, to be more accurate in modern terms, the Gaels of Alba?

The original term "Scot" meant "Gael" and the Gaels almost certainly came from Ireland. These people established colonies in western Caledonia, and a territory grew up there first called "Dál Riata", then, after the takeover of "Pictland", called "Alba." Alba originally meant Britain, but came, by the end of the 9th century to refer to the area of northern Britain ruled by the Gaels. The Gaels ruled Scotland (Alba) until the death of Alexander III in 1286. After that, the kingdom is still predominantly Gaelic in makeup, but the culture of the kingdom becomes Anglo-"Frankish".

This is a small mod, quite simple in purpose: to allow you to play as the Gaels of Alba without going through the tedious work of "adding" them yourself. Those who know me on these boards, know my love of Celtic Scotland, so perhaps not many of you will use this mod.
    Anyhoo, Alba replaces the Celts. It has not been added because of the problems downloading the leaderheads. I don't imagine this will cause too many problems, as the Gaels were Celts, and so a game with both might be a bit silly .

The UU is the "Highlander" (not very original I know), which replaces Medieval Infantry, and has the same powers and cost as the latter, but treats all terrain as roads and upgrades to Rifleman instead of Guerrilla. The unit requires Feudalism. Credit to Kindred 72 for the UU. I am not particularly happy with this name though, because the "Highlander" is more famous for his fire and charge tactics that require the use of gunpowder. But it'll do for now until I think of a better name! Actually, I'd like to hear suggestions? :goodjob:

Please note that the city and leader lists for the other civs are more extensive than in the civ3x. There is an accompanying civilopedia entry.

There is also a world map version, a slightly altered version of the Kal-El WM. So, credit to him too. For this, the Iroquois have been changed to "Native America" and the Ottomans to "Turks." This makes sense for the world map.

I did the city lists and the Civilopedia entry. These, especially the city list, took quite a bit of research. All the city names have the orthographic form they had in the middle ages, and most of them take their first ever recorded form. I researched these all to make it more realistic. Thank goodness for my Uni library. The civilopedia entry was a bit rushed though, but should do for the moment.

This mod is for PTW only

Enjoy

Click here to download the Mod - 0.99 MB
    Last edited by Calgacus II; August 1, 2003, 09:35.

Here is the readme, which contains all the info about the new civ and installation explanation:
    Attached Files

Comment

Update to version 2.!

Changes:

1) Civilopedia entry for "Highlander added"
      2) Resources generated for worldmap.

Comment

Working...
      X