Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

Please guys,

Tell me this is only a nightmare,I do not want to believe that Conquest will introduce the concept of an aracade game,where in the middle of a scenario I can see " game over " .

This concept was good for Outrun,Bubble Bubble,Ghosts'n'Goblins etc..but not for CIV.

More than this I want to have a game where it's possible to start from 4000 b.c. to an infinite time,where I can decide what to do.

I think that Sid Maier is rioting in his tomb due to this arcade concept applied to his CIV.

I am all ears

Gunter

If you have PTW you can mess around with time. However if you lose the game because another civ has won the game is essentially over, though nothing stops you from playing more turns.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

The max setting you can place in the turn limit is the value of 1000. I have started placing this value into my games, but I have never reached it (what ever year the value of 1000 equates to). The games normally end prior due to the various victory conditions that are turned on.

Comment

Re: The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

Originally posted by Gunter
        I think that Sid Maier is rioting in his tomb due to this arcade concept applied to his CIV.
        Sid Meier isn't dead yet.

Comment

Re: The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

More than this I want to have a game where it's possible to start from 4000 b.c. to an infinite time,where I can decide what to do.
          Here we differ. By the time I've spent 40 hours or so to get to 2050, I am more than ready to call it quits.

That said, what would be interesting in a painful, eye glazing, carpal tunnel syndrome, never ending game sort of way, would be to be able turn off the "end year" and to set victory conditions (say culture) such that the game did not end until those conditions were met.
          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

By 2050 the issue is almost always decided anyway. It is very rare that I get there and still have any worries about other Civs dominating me culturally or militarily. My biggest worry in the late game is if I don't have The UN. Then I have to start being real nice, real quick. Sometimes that is a drag.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The UN victory, to me, feels like the most artificial and unfair. I always play with it turned off.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
                The UN victory, to me, feels like the most artificial and unfair. I always play with it turned off.
                That is pretty much where I have gone as well. Not to long ago I was going for a military victory and looked like I was going to have some success with it and BAM-game over. Since then then that option has been OFF.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I can undestand your points of views,but why not insert the option " do you want to continue ? "

Usually my best and challenging games ended after the 2050 and I absolutely see no reasons to avoid to insert this option.

I have no PTW and I didn't understand if Conquest or the editor that will came with it, will allow such feature.

Please tell me

Gunter

P.S. regarding the death of Sid..it was an own stupid humorism,meaning that I am missing him a lot and the turn limit is a concrete example

Comment

I can undestand your points of views,but why not insert the option " do you want to continue ? "
                    But this is in the game.

Comment

The scoring (even under standard Civ3) stops at this turn and a winner is decided. You can keep playing if you want to. A standard Civ game, BTW, has 540 turns from 4000BC to 2050AD. The 1000 turn limit is probably enough.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                        The scoring (even under standard Civ3) stops at this turn and a winner is decided. You can keep playing if you want to. A standard Civ game, BTW, has 540 turns from 4000BC to 2050AD. The 1000 turn limit is probably enough.
                        Do scenario scores get recorded yet WarpStorm? Or you probably can't say if its a yes.

Comment

Re: Re: The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

Originally posted by statusperfect
                          True, but what has he been up to lately...
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

Originally posted by Vince278

True, but what has he been up to lately...
                            Pirates 2, my guess, if you were serious

Comment

Re: Re: The nightmare to have Conquest with a turn limit

Originally posted by statusperfect

That's what THEY want you to believe...

Comment

Working...
                              X