X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding with copper and tin

While researching the uses of tin, I came across this good website:

History of tin

Noting what the article says about iron and steel, it appears that bronze is very valuable in the early game. But bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Making spearman units is an important jump, from defence of 1 to 2. But making spearmen require strategic resources of copper and tin might be a stretch. It doesn't appear that there would be a lot of use for tin in the game, beyond bronze-based units.

Copper, though, is useful later on. Here is a good website on the history and uses of copper. For Civ 3 gameplay purposes,
    copper could be a pre-requisite for hydro plants (wiring), hospitals (piping), or even the Statue of Liberty if you want to bring that wonder back. Copper could also be a pre-requisite for the Internet, or anything you wanted to add dealing with magnetism, refrigeration or air conditioning. I know this isn't a new topic, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments, concerning these 2 metals and gameplay!
    My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Yes, but how many nations have been without copper? AFAIK, it's far more common than even something like iron.

Comment

That's not true, iron is one of the most common elements on Earth. The molten core is largely made up of it. The main reason why Copper and Tin haven't been included in the game is that the Iron Age begins so quickly in the game, especially if your playing an expansionist civ.

Comment

Let me add: how many nations have mined the molten core?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
          He he he. That's what I was thinking.

"Me Gronk. Me neanderthal man and me dig to core of earth for more iron. Grunt."

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
            You need to take a few geology courses, you obviously don't know how volcanoes and and tectonic plates work.

Comment

Well, now there's an incentive to build near a volcano... if its one of the few places to find iron in the game...
              Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

You need to take a few geology courses, you obviously don't know how volcanoes and and tectonic plates work.
                I know how they work. However, people have NOT mined the liquid nickel/iron core at the center of the earth even indirectly.

Comment

Yeah, if we mined the Earth's core, we'd screw up our planet's magnetic field!
                  My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

You know, I saw in discover this geologist thinks that it's actually uranium... the radioactive decay is what he says powers our magnetic field.

He has some pretty good evidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X