Civ3 Conquests: Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 Conquests: Resources

I think 'exotic birds' is a silly idea for a new resource. I have a hard time imagining the people in my civilization becoming less 'war weary' after I distribute cockatoos to the masses...

I think a better resource would be the coca plant / cocaine . You could use that resource to undermine other civilizations by creating black market for illegal drugs there. You could trade multiple quantities of this resource to the same civilization. The 'trade' of cocaine does not represent a formal agreement. It is conducted without sanction of receiving civ. In exchange for the drug, the seller receives a gpt value representing financial drain due to lost productivity of buyer. Buyer civs actual shields productivity takes a small hit and workers are less efficient. Seller civ suffers a reputation hit with all civs when 'trading' this resource. The 'trade' can be cancelled by war or normal trade route interruption.

Firaxis wouldn't implement such a non-politically-correct concept.
    Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

I would add coffee, as it is one of the most significantly traded commodity now, and for years back.

Comment

A black-market resource would be a hell to implement in a mere XP. I think the actual effect of such a resource would be to increase happiness and corruption in the targeted Civ, and the selling Civ should make as much money as corruption made this way.

That's a good idea for a future Civ, but a too radical change for an expansion.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Coffee is a good idea!
          be free

Comment

"the coca plant / cocaine"

Wow. I imagine that would be a can of worms an all ages civ game wouldn't want to open up.
            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Exotic Birds could be to represent Ostrich and other flightless bird feathers, which were popular during the imperialist age for use in clothing. But parrots, pheasants and such have always been popular trades for royalty, and in more recent times, pets for the masses. But I do kind of agree that something like coffee or chocolate would have made more sense.

But whatever. I have been a fan of luxury resources ever since I figured out how to use them, and more of them means less citizens who hate me.

Comment

come on, admit that each of you has attempted to get a parrot talking to you in a pet store at least once in your life. now admit it was fun. admit YOU wouldn't mind having your nation at war if you could have that bird talk to you all day.

ADMIT IT.
                I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

I would add coffee, as it is one of the most significantly traded commodity now, and for years back.
                  Correct me if i'm worng but not only is coffee significantly tarded it is the second most traded product on Earth, only Oil is more traded. Coffee should have been in the original version.
                  For your photo needs:
                  http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I thought Civ already had coffee (or am I thinking of CtP?).
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                      Absolutely

I'd also add hops, but then we would need breweries
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        I thought Civ already had coffee (or am I thinking of CtP?).
                        Civ has furs, incense, dyes, ivory, gems, wines, silks and spices.

No coffee.

Comment

Let's just say that Exotic Birds makes sense in context.
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Let's just say that Exotic Birds makes sense in context.
                            Why? Does the XP have zoos?
                            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I'd also add hops, but then we would need breweries
                              IIRC, someone once suggested that we add these into CTP2. A city with a brewery gets a significant happiness boost. Great idea, but no-one ever got around to doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X