No announcement yet.

Civ III Conquests Preview in Computer Games Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure they'll make everything scenario specific available for normal game, at least through the use of the editor.

Besides, these governments aren't that exotic, as they have been used very widely across the world, with much efficiency (granted, they weren't used in Civ's usual western context)
    You're spot on about the western bias - and that's precisely what makes me think that these new governments have been designed for the scenarios. The overly simplistic model in Civ as it is now is probably inadequate for what these new, complicated scenarios demand - I remember in Civ2, in the WWII scenario, that Germany was a 'Republic'. And so therefore I fear it may be the case that these new government types will have little useful value for normal games of Civ. (Besides, 'Confucian bureaucracy' - give us a break! That's the last thing that would have come into my head, except maybe for a Buddhist Meditation Regime or a Hippie Commune!)

Of course, Firaxis would have to do something different ... we can only wonder just how scenario-orientated this new XP is going to be.

Comment

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

movie

The two companies announce a new publishing agreement, as well as an expansion pack for Civilization III.

We were fortunate enough to attend a Firaxis press event at which the company's president, Jeff Briggs, and the company's chief creative director, veteran game designer Sid Meier, announced a new partnership with Atari Games (the publisher formerly known as Infogrames) to develop and publish new PC games. According to Meier, the new agreement gives Firaxis the right to revisit such classic properties as Colonization, Covert Action, Silent Service, F-15 Strike Eagle, and F-19 Stealth Fighter. Briggs and Meier went on to formally announce the next product in the Civilization series: Civilization III: Conquests, a new expansion pack for the award-winning 2001 strategy game.

Civilization III: Conquests will feature a brand-new single-player campaign that will model eight different famous historical campaigns, including the battle for Mesopotamia, the battles between the Mayans and Incans, the struggle for control of feudal Japan, and even World War II. The expansion pack will also feature a whopping eight new civilizations, as well as a great many other additions, including new military units, new diplomacy options, new government types, new wonders of the world, new victory conditions, new resources, and new luxuries. The expansion will be released later this year.

hi ,

the above seems very intresting , ......

F-19

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Seems like there's going to be a lot of scenario-specific additions.
        "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
        but when there has been naming
        we should also know when to stop.
        Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

This is all great news. Although, it seems this XP is going to be all about Scenarios. Then again with the new editor, it should be no problem modding all the new things in.
          "The Pershing Gulf War began when Satan Husane invaided Kiwi and Sandy Arabia. This was an act of premedication."
          Read the Story ofLa Grande Nation , Sieg oder Tod and others, in the Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos XIII
            This is all great news. Although, it seems this XP is going to be all about Scenarios. Then again with the new editor, it should be no problem modding all the new things in.
            hi ,

well that seems to be the way of thinking for the editor writers , they want an editor that is simple to use and that allows you unlimited editing , ......

cant wait to play with that F-19

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Will I need PTW to install? (I never purchased that)
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Sounds like we're going to get what I feared we might - bizarre, exotic new governments which will probably be specific to certain scenarios.

Well, there will probably have to be a 'Fascism' for the WW2 scenario, I'd have to think.

I doubt it (Ah, PTW, a waste of my money )
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

...there'll be a flashy cosmetic treatment for the units...
                  Does this mean the graphics will be updated? That would rock...
                  Last edited by MattH; July 5, 2003, 23:36.
                  cIV list: cheats
                  Now watch this drive!

Comment

Hi!

Click on the link below!

Look at the screenshot with the volcano! Then look at the southern area. What the hell is that??? Looks like some funky irrigation, or some new terrain tile.

Look at the SCREENSHOT
                    "The Pershing Gulf War began when Satan Husane invaided Kiwi and Sandy Arabia. This was an act of premedication."
                    Read the Story ofLa Grande Nation , Sieg oder Tod and others, in the Stories Forum

Comment

cool

Comment

You're right Kaos, the terrain look pretty weird. But I don't believe is a new irrigation system, perhaps is just a new graphic display of something similar to a swamp, or something like that.

great link
                        >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Without giving anything away, take another look at those screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I doubt it (Ah, PTW, a waste of my money )
                            Does it look like Conquest will have enough features to make it a worthwhile purchase?
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

That new terrain tile is Swamp.

Without giving anything away, take another look at those screenshots.

Hittite UU is a Three Man Chariot. Either that or it's a new base unit, but it sounds like a UU to me.
                              Last edited by FrustratedPoet; July 6, 2003, 10:57.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Swamp Terrin tile! SWEEEEEEETTT

I hope this means we can add new terrain types though...
                                Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Working...
                                X