MAPS: Star Series for PTW/C3C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAPS: Star Series for PTW/C3C

Hello all! As promised, I have made some maps for PTW, and will upload them on this thread. Some of them use the rules from TeTurkhan's Test Of Time scenario that is included on the PTW CD. All maps are standard-sized, with 25-31 civs playable. The last civ is my own, the Sylvanians; if you don't want to play with them in the scenario then nix them on the game set-up menu.
    I have not been so liberal with the resources in these maps, so it will take a blend of conniving and extreme violence to win on these. I hope you enjoy these maps!

Last edited by Quasar1011; June 23, 2003, 06:57.
    My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Arcturus

The first map I am uploading is Arcturus, which is a star in the constellation Boötes, the Oxherder. Arcturus is a pangaea, with 25 civs playable. The land form is made up of many peninsulas, so no city will be too far from a coastline. I have attached a screen shot of Arcturus here:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Quasar1011; June 24, 2003, 19:52.

Comment

More on Arcturus

I placed 5 of each resource on Arcturus. 5 oil, 5 fish, 5 silks, that's it. With 25 civs, that means each civ has a 1-in-5 chance of finding a resource nearby. Grabbing key strategic resources will be the key to winning on this world! When I play-tested it, I only won by having the top score when time ran out, so it can be challenging. Here is the zip file for Arcturus:
      Attached Files

Comment

PTW Map: Canopus

Here is my Canopus map. Now, Canopus is the 2nd-brightest star in the sky, located in the ancient large constellation Argo. My thanks to TeTurkhan for the basic rules. I have made the Canopus map playable with 31 civs. Here is the Canopus file:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Quasar1011; June 23, 2003, 06:45.

Comment

More on Canopus

Canopus has more than 8 luxury resources, including coffee, tobacco, rice, and pearls. I have set these resources to appear with certain technologies. I have also set 7 victory point locations, which are guarding some of these resources. Canopus has 3 main continents, but 4 decent-sized offshore islands too. In fact, some resources are found exclusively on these islands. Here is a screenshot of Canopus:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Quasar1011; June 24, 2003, 19:51.

Comment

PTW map: Diphda

Another map I am submitting today is Diphda. It is a bright star in the constellation Cetus, the sea-monster. In keeping with the naval theme, there are 8 continents on Diphda, with 4 starting locations each. This means there will be 4 civs per continent, except one which will have 3 civs (the barbs are "civ" #32).

Naval technologies will be important on Diphda, and trading will be too. Some resources are exclusive to some islands. Seals, pigs, sheep and crabs are some additional resources. The Americans are not in this scenario, but several other civs are. Again, this map is based on TeTurkhan's Test Of Time mod that came with PTW. Here is a screenshot of Diphda:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Quasar1011; June 24, 2003, 19:48.

Comment

Diphda file

And here is the zip file for Diphda:

Attached Files

Comment

PTW map: Dubhe

The 4th file I will submit today is my Dubhe map. Dubhe is a star in Ursa Major, the Big Bear; which also makes it part of the most famous "asterism" (visibly recognizable grouping of stars)- the Big Dipper.

Dubhe is a pangaea on a standard-sized map. Its outer coastline is rugged; however, there are 3 great seas in the interior. Of 25 starting locations, 1 is in a position to connect a sea to the ocean. Resources are limited on Dubhe, though there are plenty of rivers. Enjoy Dubhe! Here is the file:
                Attached Files

Comment

Dubhe screenshot

You can see a screenshot of Dubhe here. When I play-tested it, the Celts had the "canal city" as their capital, in the northwest part of the landmass.

Enjoy these maps!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Quasar1011; June 24, 2003, 19:49.

Comment

Start posting your screenshots in jpeg format that way we don't have to download them to see them. Unless you are doing it this way so people can't see the map before they play it.

BTW Great maps! I really like Diphda
                    For your photo needs:
                    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Jpegs

Thanks Sheik! Well, when you load a scenario in PTW, you get a peek at the map anyway. So I have changed
                      the screenshots to jpegs, as you requested.

Comment

Whoa Quasar those maps look Unbelievably cool. now I really need to get that new computer so I can start playing civ3 again with 25! civs
                        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

i played two of your civ3-vanilla-star-series maps. they were quite fun!

what size are these maps if you can play with 25-31 civs? large? huge? custom?
                          haven't got an civ3 installation on this computer to look for myself...
                          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Sabrewolf, all of these are standard-sized maps. I have a couple that aren't, but I have not uploaded them. It is because they are part of a mod package I am working on, but haven't gotten all the bugs worked out. When I do, I'll post those too. But I plan on getting C3C as soon as it comes out, so I may wait until after that.

If there is a demand for more maps, I can always tweak my vanilla-civ maps and upgrade them to PTW maps (by adding more starting locations).

By the way, I heard some of the Swiss glaciers were melting, and it reached 41C in parts of Switzerland recently. Is that true, and how are you coping?

Comment

well, 41°C are just rumours
                              39.x°C has been measured, but they were in the non-mountainious areas (yes, switzerland isn't all mountains cheese and banks ).

it has been quite hot, but less than in some regions in a few surrounding countries (germany, france, italy).
                              glaciers always melt in summer, but they'll survive this heat period...

back on-topic: don't care about "upgrading" civ3 maps to ptw. everyone can do so themselves, if needed. use your energy to create a great c3c-scenario/-mod (any clues yet or is it classified? )
                              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Working...
                              X