MAPS: Set of Fair PTW Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAPS: Set of Fair PTW Maps

I find it very frustarting to start a game pinned in by 3 people in one half of the world, while one other person has the other whole half. Or to choose Egypt and find myself fully surrounded by jungle. The list goes on... The computer sometimes does not make fair maps. Yes I agree that is part of the game, and to come from behind to win is thrilling. But that is also why Aztecs and Zulu's are so over-utilized.

I have talked about having multiplayer PTW maps for a specific number of people ensuring a fair start. I have attached a set of such maps. Some have been posted, some are new, and I included Konig Etzel's 8 player map too, (thank you.)

The general idea to all these maps is simple. Good start locations for everyone! Not in floodplain, jungle, or desert. Strategic resources within reach for all, but not in the first city. Basically even to bring out the skill and strategy of the game. Capitols are enough apart or with barriers that the Aztec and Zulu can’t rush you before you can defend. Mountains and jungle are not so dense that Egypt’s War Chariots are impotent. And I try to provide enough land for healthy expansion, but if you just keep to yourself, just defend and never take a chance, you probably won’t win.

I would like to distinguish between a map and a gameboard. The latter is not meant to be to be geologically or climatically correct. A gameboard’s main idea is to accomplish a purpose. In this case fair and fun multiplayer games. If it can be accurate or pretty – great!

So I have packaged up a set. Again, the idea is to come out of the mp lobby a certain number of players and pick the map that yields the best game for that number. Playing with more or less than the number of players recommended will result in a less than a fair situation for some. Two players (1 vs 1) will work fine for almost any of these games though. Just big maps and long games.

Just maps, no rule changes!

One download brings in all the maps and a readme about them.

Please Enjoy!
    Dave (Thumpper)

[IMG]FairPTWMapSet.JPG[/IMG]
    Attached Files

preview

Last edited by dharms; May 28, 2003, 21:23.

Comment

Nice effort, you're right about giving people equal starting conditions playing mp.

Are starting locations on these maps preset or randomly chosen each game?

AJ
      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
      - emperor level all time
      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Unfortunately the starting positions are preset. If I randomize them I think that the computer might place two civs right next to one another on the same piece of land. (As it does in random generation now.)
        Unless you know another way. (I would love to hear it.)

The only way that I did somewhat "randomize" things is what I did with the 1:1 map. Four start locations and the computer picks which one you start at.

It would be good if Infogrames would put something like that in the editor. Allow you to have alternate start locations for the same civ. But that two different civs could not be put there. A's, B's and C's so to speak.

Thanks for the input. I would like more.
        I wouldn't mind some healthy multiplayer map-making competition either!

Dave (Thumpper)

Comment

Dave, the PTW scenario editor allows you to assign starting locations to certain civ's. I tend not to do this on my maps. But like you, I do like to see decent starting positions for each civ. After all, the civ may not have "sprung up" unless it had decent terrain, food resources, and climate. And considering that the civs on Earth sprang up in river valleys (Tigirs/Euphrates, Indus, Ganges, Nile, Yangtze), I tend to place the starting locations next to rivers.
          My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

Working...
          X