Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wish to see PtW + Conquests for the Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wish to see PtW + Conquests for the Mac?

I think it's terrible that these expansion packs have not been released for the Mac. Who would like to see them on the Mac? Mac OS X specifically.
    Yes
    54.55%
    No
    22.73%
    Not interested
    22.73%

I think it's good. It discourages people from using Macs

Plus, where's the profit? Why should they cater to a limited market?

Comment

I don't reallly care as I don't have a mac and I don't know anyone that has...
      And ever after, sun shone upon the land of Sunshinia...

Comment

Re: Do you wish to see PtW + Conquests for the Mac?

Originally posted by rmendis
        I think it's terrible that these expansion packs have not been released for the Mac. Who would like to see them on the Mac? Mac OS X specifically.
        Absolutely! However, inherit difficulties w/ the software (PTW) make it unlikely for some time. Certain glitches w/ PTW cause mac publishers (MacSoft Games) to cringe. It is likely a gold edition down the road could be ported.

Below is a post by cracker at CFC just today:

"On the issue of a MAC PTW, I cannot speak for a position of knowing what INFOGRAMES/ATARI/MACSOFT/FIRAXIS will do in this area but just based on a gut feel for some of the difficulties encountered so far with just the PC version of the software, it will be hard to have a positive expectation of a full PTW available for our Mac brethen. There are a whole range of rather ugly internal PTW issues that are only just beginning to be solved in PTW.

(My favorite example is that units in PTW with the "Hidden Nationality" flag as an ability are now immortal)

What we can hope for is that the conquests pack only requires the basic Civ3 purchase as a prerequisite but that it may include the latest single player patch functions.

Also, they are unlikely to do this as a product, if the Mac players pleaded for a functional game but releasing the Mac software executable without an editor would more than quadruple the chances of the game being available for you to play. (Brad won't like to hear me say this, but it is my gut feel nonetheless)."
        "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
        I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
        --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

MAC is for working

PC is for playing

i voted NO

cheers

Comment

Re: Re: Do you wish to see PtW + Conquests for the Mac?

Originally posted by dojoboy
            Absolutely! However, inherit difficulties w/ the software (PTW) make it unlikely for some time. Certain glitches w/ PTW cause mac publishers (MacSoft Games) to cringe. It is likely a gold edition down the road could be ported.
            Well, that is good news.
            I certainly hope that the Gold edition makes it to the Mac.

What would be cool is to have just the Civs/MODS/Scenarios ported to the Mac. I mean like the Apolyton Extrapack. How difficult could that be.

In fact, if i had the time now (and the PC version of PtW) i would do that. That is one would have to copy the Art, Sounds and Animations as well as develop an advanced MOD for Civ3/Mac as well as test it.

I don't think the Multiplayer features are that essential. After all it must be a small fraction of Civ3 players who ever use MP...those who have the time and can organise themselves to play together. That market would be even smaller on the Mac, so why bother with those features on the Mac? What i'd really like to play with is the new Civs in PtW. Vikings namely

Thanks for the info/thought.

Comment

Hidden nationality units are immortal???

Again, I think that releases for the Mac would seriously decrease support for the PC's, as they're on a shoestring already.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker

Again, I think that releases for the Mac would seriously decrease support for the PC's, as they're on a shoestring already.
                PC publishers and Mac publishers care little for who's going to be the "dominant" platform. That's already been decided. I believe you may be giving too much influence to computer gaming. It probably provides a luxurious living to a selective few; however, PC/Mac serious revenue lies in other areas (e.g. business applications). Just take a look at Atari's (Infogrames) bottom-line, recent cut-backs, and their "coincidental" partnership w/ Firaxis.
                "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect
                  MAC is for working

PC is for playing

i voted NO

cheers

hi ,

do you even own a mac

probably not , ....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Do you wish to see PtW + Conquests for the Mac?

Originally posted by rmendis
                    hi ,

YES

btw , we have a mac section at poly > http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=131

even a mac group , see the little mac icon under panag

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                      In multiplayer for patch levels below 1.24 they are.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I don't see much point in PTW alone for the mac aside from the extra units (which would be worth all the money to me). Apparently the multiplayer doesn't work well on the PC and Mac people probably wouldn't be able to play PC people over multiplayer anyway (that happened with some other games I had).

The Gold edition idea sounds good.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by dojoboy
                          PC publishers and Mac publishers care little for who's going to be the "dominant" platform. That's already been decided. I believe you may be giving too much influence to computer gaming. It probably provides a luxurious living to a selective few; however, PC/Mac serious revenue lies in other areas (e.g. business applications). Just take a look at Atari's (Infogrames) bottom-line, recent cut-backs, and their "coincidental" partnership w/ Firaxis.
                          I mean support for the PC version of Civ3

Oh, and actually the gaming industry is the main force behind computing technology today, and has been for years.

Comment

Most of the major issues with multiplayer have been solved with patch 1.21. The issue I see with a Mac version is that it uses Microsoft's DirectPlay as its core networking technology. The rumor I heard is that Conquests will contain the additional features from PTW.
                            Seemingly Benign
                            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

The rumor I heard is that Conquests will contain the additional features from PTW.
                              Of course it will! How couldn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X