No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Zedd's wife Ctrl-N the saves? It would be the most correct procedure (in order to avoid revealing possible secrets etc. ).
    But let us not to delay the Greek turn now, kengel did Ctrl-N last turn, so I think he can do it again.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
      I tried email but it bounced:
      PM Sent. Barter file for Minos attached (change the suffix to .dat)
      Attached Files
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I ctrl-N-ed the Persian turn...

here it is:
        Attached Files

Comment

• And here is the greek turn...
          enjoy
          Attached Files

Comment

• Only a minor problem with an unfreeze.

Persian units are in the way, and several of my vans are stuck in Persian control. We need a sub!
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Persia

The empty Persian throne has been announced a month ago, The Aliens don't seem to be willing to return atawa...
              It looks we need some long-lasting solution. I see these possibilities:

1) We treat Persia as a normal AI:
              no Ctrl-N, Persia may attack us or be attacked etc. I think this is a standard procedure in PBEMs that start incomplete.
              The defect is very low continuity with existing course of the game and probably precluding any new player to take over Persia in future (Persia may be conquered soon).

2) We freeze Persia:
              that represents to withdraw foreign units from Persia (or deliver them) and then not to enter there.

3a) Somebody of us takes control of Persia until a new player comes (if it ever happens).
              I think we can't request this player plays both Civs independently (remember that such a try in Seeds #2 game ended very bad), because it is impossible to split one's brain in two parts. So the two civs would join a super-tight alliance (but this alliance may end after new Persian leader comes).
              I think this solution would be good especially if somebody had a strong alliance with Sinbad or atawa (=good continuity with the past course).

3b) The last option, but the two civs in the super-tight-alliance (Persia
              + some civ) are not allowed to swap gold/units/cities.
              This way the alliance is not so strong and so a distribution of power doesn't change so much. Also the new leader is precluded to eat up Persia on behalf of his main civilization.

My view: 2) and 3b) are best, 1) is worst.
              Last edited by SlowThinker; October 16, 2007, 19:35.

Comment

• The greatest scenario for the greatest game ever and we can't find somebody who plays well with others.

Definitely can't do 1) until caravans are returned to home civ control. Even then, who wants to fight a dumb AI?
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Perhaps there is another option. If Zedd were willing to swap the Minoans for Persia, then all the human players would be Land-based powers. We could then pass a "law" which states that henceforth the Minoans are to be considered "at war" with all other powers in the game. Furthermore, we could forbid the conquest of any Minoan cities, and even invasion of their islands.

What this does is to create a really nasty problem in the middle of the Mediteranean. All the mainland Coastal Powers with lands on the fringes would be subject to attack from a powerful navy with travel bonuses that will ALWAYS outstrip ours. And while it might be possible to covertly drop a caravan or two on a Minoan island, the risks would be high and the rewards relatively few.

Frankly, this would be a big problem for Egypt and Greece, and to a lesser degree the Hittites, while the downside is that the Babylonian Behemoth and Persia would not suffer at all from the Minoan predations. Although we could probably change the dynamic at least a little by giving the Minoans an island or two in the Persian Gulf and Caspian.

The details would have to be fleshed out, but at least this way we'd have a permanent mechanism for operating with one less human player, while at the same time adding a level of unpredictability that has been sorely lacking since the anticipated Wrath Hordes failed to materialize.
                  To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• It sounds like we would start a very different game. I like to keep a continuity of the game, so I don't like this proposal.
                    But I won't spoil a fun of others if you all want it.

BTW I don't think the Minoan AI could be very dangerous. Not only it is stupid, but also it can use only city production, while trade revenues of our human civs are much higher.

Comment

• I do not relish the idea of any civ being played by AI. But what choice could we have?

I am just returning from a business trip to Western USA and have a few RL things that I have to take care of right away. I may have the chance to play tomorrow (friday) night but most likely will not be able to post until Saturday.
                      Wizards sixth rule:
                      "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                      Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zedd
                        I do not relish the idea of any civ being played by AI. But what choice could we have?
                        We can choose points 2), 3), 3a) from my list (or maybe some other ideas?).
                        Last edited by SlowThinker; October 18, 2007, 17:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
                          The greatest scenario for the greatest game ever and we can't find somebody who plays well with others.
                          I invited tecumseh.
                          Did kengel ask his brothers in his other PBEM game?

Comment

• I'd PMed our remaining Git some time ago, before atawa. No response. No vote cast in HoF either. Dropped off the radar, living it up in his yacht in Majorca.

Comment

• I was talking to my Wife about our current delima and may have talked her into playing as a sub for a few turns. Her interest isn't in PBEM as much as SP but she would be a much better alternative to an AI civ.

Would anyone object?

She is a pretty good player, though she would need a little coaching from me on the PBEM rules and function.

For those who think it may be a way to cheet...... Well just trust me when I say she would much rather grind me into dust.
                              Wizards sixth rule:
                              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• As any good wife should!

I vote "Aye"

Psst: it's your turn

Comment

Working...
                                X