New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis: The Old Merchant's Tale

Hi Steve, glad you made it back and that all is well! In case you were wondering what went on in Greece during your absence........

Long after the Egyptian villagers had shuffled off to bed, a grizzled old merchant poked at the fire and smiled softly. Seeing this, and with a tongue now thoroughly loosened, the Babylonian couldn't help himself, "Out with it old man! If that's a joke you're thinking of, we want to hear it!" Several other merchants slapped the sands to signify agreement, and after a pause the smiling man responded. "I may have a few years on you, bearded one, but my hand is quick and this staff can instill respect quicker than you think!" Noting the light tone, the Babylonian bowed his head in mock submission and returned a grin of his own. "I believe you old father, so spare me the lesson and share your tale with us!"

"Well, it's not a humorous story, but one of war, much like yours. I simply smiled at the poor innocence of our good Memphians - alas the world has many nasty surprises in store for them, I fear! So....you know of the seafarers? Those who serve Minos?" The big Mesopotamian nodded affirmatively, and raised a jar of beer in salute. "Yes, by the gods - and their wine even more!" Nodding, the old man toasted back. "I spoke with one in Canaan a few seasons ago, and he had a tale from the distant north. It seems that two towns shared power on a great peninsula, and the two kings bore a deep mutual enmity. The greater of the two, Agamemnon, sent a pair of armies to assault his enemy. One was the usual group of citizen skirmishers, fleet of foot but poorly armed. The other - and this I've never seen and can scarcely credit - was composed entirely of mounted horsemen! This new innovation was unknown to his enemy, and thus the Achaean King was confident of victory. His plan called for the skirmishers to attack one part of the town, drawing the full attention of the enemy, at which time the mounted army would sweep in from the rear and complete the conquest. But it was not to be! The horsemen were led by the king's drunken nephew Athos, and the fool and his men became lost in the hill country. Thus when the poor foot troops launched their attack, they did so alone and outnumbered. At first the battle went ill for them, but when all appeared lost, the king's brother Menelaus came to the fore. He spied the enemy king, engaged him in single combat, and at the last, slew him with a great thrust of his spear. At this the enemy lost heart and surrendered themselves as slaves! They say that scarcely a tenth of the Achaeans were still standing, so it was truly a great and awesome victory!"

The old merchant finished with a flourish, and the listening merchants - ever appreciative of a fine tale well told - hooted their approval. Inspired, the Babylonian leaned forward and launched into a totally improbable tale involving Assyrians and onager-drawn contraptions called "chariots" (the old merchant rolled his eyes at the very thought of so unlikely a device) while the fires flickered and more beer was poured, and the night flowed on as smoothly as the Nile.
    Last edited by Kull; October 18, 2002, 11:46.
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I'll write up the details tomorrow.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Note to Players:

I was talking to Chris62, and he's volunteered to take over the Hittites! So CivFan, if that civ is locked by a password, please pass it along to Chris (Edit: Duh! Civfan was smart & courteous enough to unlock them earlier, so it's not an issue. Thanks, pal!)

Since the Minoans haven't moved yet, I recommend we let Chris begin play immediately after Yop's turn.
        Last edited by Kull; October 18, 2002, 12:11.

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Any way we can get this moving a little quicker? At this rate...well, you know....

Comment

• What's the deal on this wraith thing?

Do I have to add a different events file to the new MP file?
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Clark
              Any way we can get this moving a little quicker? At this rate...well, you know....
              I notify Kull (by e-mail) as soon as I have played. I suggested this before, but nobody said they would do the same. We do have a 24 hour timelimit though. It would be very helpfull if we remind eachother of the turns that need to be played. Bump the next in line if it takes to long.

Chris: AFAIK the wrath is embedded in the save-file you download. (Kull, correct me if I am wrong )
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Hey, Kull, did you receive my mail?
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

• I just emailed and PMed yop to take his turn. Are we on the 48-hour rule?

Comment

• Sorry guys, but I can't play on thursday.
                    Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

• And here's the file. Nothing happened. I'm about to build my second city.

:king: Yop
                      Attached Files
                      Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

• OK, working on the assumption that nothing further need be done, turn played.

For now, I will always include "Hitties" in the save, and I suggest you all put your civ name this way, things tend to get confusing as the game moves along.
                        Attached Files
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

• Shameless plug:

I reviewed this scenario for Civfanatics:

Comment

• Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                            Hey, Kull, did you receive my mail?
                            I got home last night, so yes I did......and yes, I will!

Comment

• Originally posted by germanos

I notify Kull (by e-mail) as soon as I have played.
                              Indeed he does......unfortunately Apolyton sends it to my home email address, so that doesn't help much when I'm on the road and using the work one! It would probably be best if we all used the "PM" feature to notify instead of email. It works great since you are notified the instant you log onto Apolyton.

I suggested this before, but nobody said they would do the same.
                              "I, Kull, do solemnly swear to PM the next opponent as soon as I complete my turn."

We do have a 24 hour timelimit though.
                              Chris thinks this is unrealistic, and certainly our experience supports that. Here's what I recommend: Each player post the minimum timelimit they are personally comfortable with. This does not have to be the same for everyone. For example, Ming could probably sign up for a 1 hour time limit since he never sleeps and he's always here! Also if you choose, for example, 24 hours but you have problems with a particular day (f/e Yop and Thursday), then just add the caveat. Likewise, if someone is away for a weekend or something, just post the circumstances and we'll work around it (have someone play your turn, agree to let the AI do it, insist we give you 48 hours, etc.) The whole idea is to stay in touch and keep things moving at a reasonable pace. Is this acceptable? (Please post!)

I personally am comfortable with the 24 hour limit. If 25 hours have passed and I haven't posted to request an extension, the AI can play that turn for me (groan).

Chris: AFAIK the wrath is embedded in the save-file you download. (Kull, correct me if I am wrong )
                              Correct. The PBEM game includes two scenario files. One is for "normal" play while the other is preset to Barbarian Wrath. There are also two readme files in the PBEM zip. "Readme-PBEM" briefly describes the PBEM changes. Two thirds of the way into "Readme" is a section that discusses Barbarian Wrath and it's SoG impact in some detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris 62

I reviewed this scenario for Civfanatics:
                                Thanks for the nice review!

Comment

Working...
                                X