Events.txt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events.txt

I am having problems with my ToT events. I originally wrote part of my events file in Civ2 FW (using the editor)but later converted it to ToT using CivConverter. Now none of the events that I put in after I converted the scenario are working. After recalling somewhere that there was a bug in the Civ2 Events Editor that messed up events files with both typed and edited events I remade the scenario from scratch, removed the part that I wrote with the Civ2 Editor but it is still not working. Does anybody know how to fix this without having to re-write the entire events file again?

In a similiar but unrelated problem the units in the scenario refuse to recognize impassable terrain.
    Is there a solution to this?
    "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
    "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

have you used the debug event to fix this? Post the scenario and events.txt for download and i'll take a look at it
    Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

If you type @DEBUG right after @BEGINEVENTS, it will generate a 'Report' text file in the scenario folder when you begin the scenario. This is in place of the on-screen events parser from FW. Open this file and scroll down to the bottom. It'll show you the first invalid event. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Re: Events.txt

Originally posted by Alex Woehr
        I am In a similiar but unrelated problem the units in the scenario refuse to recognize impassable terrain.
        Is there a solution to this?
        post the rules.txt here or send it to

Thoddyx@web.de

I'll take a look at it.

Comment

Ok, I'll post both files as soon as possible. I appreciate your help.

Originally posted by techumseh
          If you type @DEBUG right after @BEGINEVENTS, it will generate a 'Report' text file in the scenario folder when you begin the scenario. This is in place of the on-screen events parser from FW. Open this file and scroll down to the bottom. It'll show you the first invalid event. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.
          I did use the debug feature and both the scenario and the report.txt say it's fine
          "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
          "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Comment

Here it is!

Ok, here is the events.txt and rules.txt. As you can see the project is still in its infancy due to constant errors an setbacks. I have marked the place in the events where they stop working.
            Attached Files

Comment

And...
              Attached Files

Comment

How many maps do you use?
                There are 3 entrys for used maps but only
                one
                @terrain
                entry

look into the fantasy or midgard folder there are also entrys for @terrain1 and @terrain2 and so on.
                do not delete any entry you dont use

Impassable terrain: At this time no terrain has the impassable terrain flag. The last entry in the rules for each terrain is ignored.

Volcano, 2,3, 1,0,0, Drt, 0, 15, 6, For, 0, 15, 0, Pln,no, yes, ; Swa
                there is on no to much.
                corrected
                Volcano, 2,3, 1,0,0, Drt, 0, 15, 6, For, 0, 15, 0, Pln, yes, ; Swa - this will enable the impassable terrain for volcano
                same for all other terrains

On the other hand only the N. Settler, Goblin Miner and Flag unit have the impassable terrain overraide flag. so other units than these, may not go over mountains, when one "no" has been removed.

Comment

Events
                  from your events.txt

; events stop working here

@IF
                  TURN
                  turn=5
                  THEN
                  CREATEUNIT
                  unit=Wind Storm
                  count=4
                  owner=Valar
                  veteran=no
                  homecity=none
                  locations
                  endlocations
                  @ENDIF

; events stop working here

@IF
                  TURN
                  turn=5
                  @THEN
                  CREATEUNIT
                  unit=Wind Storm
                  count=4
                  owner=Valar
                  veteran=no
                  homecity=none
                  locations
                  endlocations
                  @ENDIF

the @ is missing.
                  add and the events should work correctly.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks! That did the trick.

By the way, I also need some serious help with the graphics for my scenario. All of the graphics I have been using so far have been borrowed from just about every scenario on the internet and it's a pure mess. There are also a buch of graphics that I can't find anywhere and I lack both the software and the talent to do it myself. I will warn you though. I am going to need in excess of 150 units and 100 terrain graphics.
                    Could somebody help me?

Comment

Tell us a bit about your scenario.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Try the Grahics showcase thread

Comment

I intend to make my scenario based on J.R.R Tolkien's The Silmarillion . It is unfortunately one of the most neglected of Tolkien's novels as far as scenarios are concerned (I know of only one in existance). After reading the book I felt that it would make a perfect scenario because of its small scale quests and large-scale armed confrontations all with an excellent storyline. It will be a five part scenario using several concepts I believe are completly original and it will be geared toward a 6 or 7-player PBEM, with perhaps single-player events for each being written and released periodically. Most of the problems I have encountered so far have been minor gameplay issues such as the length of the scenario (625 turns total) and parts which may be deemed boring (spending the first 12-25 turns moving your units across barren wasteland for example). I have written about one half of the events for the first part and part of the events for the second. My main problem are the graphics, which I have looked for in the graphics showcase but were not present. Some terrain examples I am looking for: city walls, cave passages, armoury and smithy terrain, bed and dining table pics etc... I think I can do it if I had help with the graphics.

Comment

Working...
                          X