Anybody like the fantasy version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody like the fantasy version?

I'm still getting to grips with it, having only played it twice (I bought the Civilization Chronicles package the other day), but it seems really cool. I've always liked Elves, ever since the days of the Silmarillion, and now I can prove that they rule Midgard.

I actually have a question (which, objectively, is likely to be in the manual which is only in PDF form on the CD and which I haven't looked at yet). I got a message saying something like "You have heard of a powerful dragon who possesses a vast treasure. You resolve to defeat him and claim the treasure as your reward." I couldn't find any such dragon, although there were a few "barbarian" dragons around who I defeated without reward. What are you supposed to do in that situation?
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

I bet you are playing Midgard scenario, not just a random fantasy game. I suppose there must be one dragon in one place that you can kill for gold.
    I remember winning the fantasy game once, but I find it way too boring. Midgard is even worse. I don't like the 4 huge maps, and I have the feeling there is nothing to do in that scenario between events. I just get no sense of accomplishing anything.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Mr. President:

I also enjoy Midgard very much, although usually I played with the underwater Civ (I don't recalltheir name), or with the humans (and Buteos once or twice).

The announcement you've received is very important if you choose to win the game by events and mildy in any other case (the ammount of gold is allways interesting).

Nevertheless, I recall only two dragons that are mentioned in the Scenario events: one is up North (with a bit of Gold), the other is down South and underground (with lot's of gold but very difficult to find - I only found him in a game i decided to cheat).

What Midgard Scenario has that is very nice is that all capital cities, and trigger locations for events are exactly in the same place, every game. So, once you find them, you'll now their location for future games. If you're trying a victory by events that's very important.

Either way, if you want a real chalange try to play with the Infidels - they are so near Volsang that if you are not quck enough, the all civilization is wipped out by events.

Good luck on your game.

Comment

Not certain about this, but I think that when you get that message you have to attack a "barbarian" dragon and kill it. Don't know if there's a particular dragon you have to get or if any will do, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get a reward if the dragon attacks you and is defeated.
        "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

There is indeed a dragon in the north. The dragons that interest you are the red one - Elder Dragons. The regular Dragons the fly around are just an annoyance - try to bait them with a Frost Giant - sometime they're stupid enough to attack - but be sure to be in good defensive terrain.

The Elder Dragon in the underworld is in the center of a spiral tunnel. the best way to take it out is to build a city (a few cities if you can) in the underworld - if you play as the Merfolk, i don't think you can do this, not with Merfolk settlers. If you don't have access to water, fear not. More on this later. Try to get a Kraken unit (in the Underworld) by bribery. Once you get one, build 4-5 lightning bolts at various cities, and an Astral Portal in the Underground city and at least one on the surface. Bring all the bolts to rest on the Kraken. The spiral maze is to the east of the Stygians capital city area. Once the Kraken is near the maze entrance, send the bolts to get the dragon.

About the water/irrigation situation for the underground city: Once you bribe the Dwarven King, take two Dwarfs, and go on a bedrock square near the underground city, and set them both on transforming the terrain. It will create a "river" that you can use to irrigate the rest of the city squares. It would be great if you could use a bedrock square inside the city raduis, as they transform to "Diamonds/Alimentary Canal", they generate 1 food, but plenty of trade. The other bedrock squares can be turned into Blue rooms by first mining them (changes to tunnel), then transforming them (changes to blue room). IMO, the underworld is the best place to build, as you have tons of resources, and when you get Dwarves, can be set up to be a money machine extraordinare, while still generating a decent amout of food. The surface comes a close second.
          JH
          Last edited by Jawn Henry; June 22, 2002, 16:40.
          There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

Wow, thanks! Lots of detailed advice there. I'll check it out!
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Another quick tip: try to bribe all the available Frost Giants. Their a Godsend. If you play a race that can't build Fairies, build some Skalds and bribe as many fairies as you can - it's worth the investment. And if you can afford it, bribe the barbarian Treefolks. When fortified in a city, they're pretty strong against marauding dragons.

I've played this many times, I've even won as Infidels, played also as Humans, Elves and now Stygians, have yet to try Merfolk, Buteos and Goblins (for some reason i don't like the Goblins - yet)

Currently, i'm trying to adapt the game to fit on a map of Earth - the 3 extra maps are done, the events file altered for the map, the scenario works, but i just can't get the game to show more than 4 city types. In Midgard, there are 7 different types of cities, one for each race. Maybe with some fiddling around... wait aminute!

JH
              There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

You have to start the game as a fantasy game. Then civilizations with User Defined Tech 6 and 7, respectively, get the other 2 city styles.
                War doesn't prove who is right, only who is left.

Comment

Ah HA! It's in the techs!

I did start as a Fantasy game, but the U.Def tech bit, i did not know. Thanks very much, Markus!8)

JH

Comment

Working...
                  X