OCC fortnight #21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC fortnight #21

I got this one from Richard Bruns. You are the only civ in this game and there are no huts, so you'll have to research everything yourself. There is one barb city for trading purposes on another island.

Richard only has MPG, so you can't play it in 2.42, but maybe someone can convert it or make a similar scenario for 2.42?

Download here.

Edit: download the 2.42 versionhere.
    [This message has been edited by Paul (edited December 19, 2000).]

Won't have to contend with hostile ai at least.

[This message has been edited by Smash (edited December 12, 2000).]
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hmmm, this gives us a chance to make a basic table of beaker counts

Btw, what happens if we wipe out the Barbs?

------------------
      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I guess the MGE to FW conversion program I tried didn't work

I'm sorry about the inaccessibility to the non-MGE people. If you want to set up a 2.42 version of the scenario, I can send you the map and the instructions, if you need them, for making the lone-civ setup with the 1 improved barb city. It doesn't take too long to make this scenario.

The point of this scenario was to remove all randomness from the game. Since there are no huts, tech trading, barbarian attackers, or random diplomacy, the arrival time should come down to pure management skill. All the important parts of the map are already revealed, so there is no need for random exploration either.

All of the specials are coal, so the excess of production will probably call for a few strategy changes.

Ribannah, the barbs are on a one square island, so you won't be able to destroy them until you get marines. By then, the population of the city will be much greater than the number of defenders. (They have four fish, a harbor, an aqueduct, and a sewer system.) Bribing or taking a city is, of course, against the OCC rules. In any case, the game continues with no problems; you are not declared the winner.

Good Civving!

By the way, I tried to download the scenario to test it and I couldn't. I couldn't get to the server that has Paul's OCC site. Did anyone else have problems downloading?
        [This message has been edited by Richard Bruns (edited December 12, 2000).]

Comment

Kudos to Richard for a well-designed scenario (obviously I was able to download it). I was afraid it would be boring without any need for defense, but there are still lots of decisions to be made. I like the lack of trade specials; it makes the early tech choices more important.

I've played to about AD 40, and have encountered my old bugbear from past OCC games: beaker micromanagement. What do the pros do to keep track of beakers? The only way I can figure to do it is to record the number of beakers on every turn, which is just a bit too obsessive for me. I know how to determine how many beakers are needed to research the current tech, but I know of no way to determine how many beakers have already been contributed.

Comment

Well, hot damn! Maybe this one I'll be able to complete.

------------------
            Frodo lives!
            Frodo lives!

Comment

I don't normally micromanage to the individual beaker until I get to a tech every 2 or 3 turns. Before that I just set science to get the least turns per advance and when I am almost finished with the advance I'll hit F6 and see if I can lower my science rate a bit. Since I don't count the actual beakers I use a conservative estimate because I hate when I come just short of the needed beakers.

Richard, if you send me the map and instructions I will make a 2.42 version of this scenario. Before I do that I would like to know if there are people here who don't have MGE and would like to play this scenario. So if you want a 2.42 version of the scenario please post here.

I have already played the game and landed in 1938. After I finished the game I realized that there were several things I could have done better to shave a couple of years off my landing date. I will post my log later.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 12-13-2000 07:28 AM
                What do the pros do to keep track of beakers?

I use pencil & paper, DaveV

(Only to find out the next turn that the beaker requirement went up 40% after my precise calculation, grrrr .... :mad

------------------
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...

Comment

Just landed in the 19th century
                  I will post my log later, so everybody can find his/her own route to victory.

The beaker requirements are still a little jumpy even with no other civs around. This is what I got:

10-22-36-48-60-84-105-120-144-170
                  187-216-247-280-315-352-374-?-475-620
                  693-726-805-864-900-936-999-1036-1073-1170
                  1209-1248-1320-1400-1512-1554-1596-1638-1680-1722
                  1848-1892-1936-2025-2070-2215-2256-????-2350-2448
                  2496-2544-2646-2695-2744-2907-2958-3009-3120-3172
                  3224-3339-3392-3445-3564-3618-3672-3864-3920-3976

------------------

Comment

Suddenly my late 19th century landing during playtesting doesn't seem as pathetic. Those huts and tech trading certainly do cut down the time it takes. I didn't keep a log when I played, though.

About the tech progression, it isn't that jumpy. I plotted those numbers and after a while (30 techs or so) it is basically a linear pattern. There is a very slight exponential increase at the end, but for a rough approximation of beaker count after about 30 techs, use the formula B = 70 t - 1000, where t is the number of techs discovered. So expect the number of beakers required for the next advance to rise by 70 at each tech discovery, on average.

Comment

Since nobody seems to be playing , maybe my summary will tempt you . I think there is still room for improvement. I scored only(?) one big hit when my Gold was in demand. For some reason Coal was in constant supply over most of the game, and nobody on the Off Topic Forum had even heard of this great commodity ...

OCC#21
                      Deity
                      MGE
                      ================================================== ==============
                      AC: 1883

Monarchy: -
                      Republic: -725
                      Democracy: 1180

Colossus: -2000
                      Copernicus: 380
                      Shakespeare: 820
                      Newton: 1080
                      Darwin: 1762
                      Apollo: 1838

Trade routes: 220,260,340

Size 12: 480
                      Size 20: 1020 (27 in 1140)
                      Size 36: 1812

Trade: -225
                      Construction: 400
                      Sanitation: 840
                      Refrigeration: 1650

Automobile: 1762
                      Computers: 1808
                      Space Flight: 1836
                      ============================================

------------------

Comment

In my game Hides were in constant supply (and in constant demand from OTF). Here are my highlights:

AC: 1938

Monarchy: -825
                        Republic: 780
                        Democracy: 1788

Colossus: -1250
                        Copernicus: 1280
                        Shakespeare: 1420
                        Newton: 1700
                        Darwin: 1857
                        Apollo: 1899

Trade routes: 720, 1260, 1260

Size 12: 1020
                        Size 21: 1620

Trade: -100
                        Construction: 860
                        Sanitation: 1530
                        Refrigeration: 1814
                        Automobile: 1857
                        Computer: 1879
                        Space Flight: 1898

Comment

Yes. Demand and Supply are party random, I guess. AFAIK it does depend on technology, city size and terrain.
                          For most of the game, we supplied Wool, Coal and (after Industrialization) Oil, early on we had some Gold, Beads and Hides as well - not that demand makes any difference early on in this scenario because the bonus is maxed out anyway.

------------------

Comment

I still intend to finish this one; just haven't found the time yet. Maybe by the end of this week.

Comment

Paul,
                              I'd give it a try in 2.42. I am very new at OCC and maybe this would be a good starter OCC.
                              Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Working...
                              X