Civ II Help! issue with cheat mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II Help! issue with cheat mode

I recently rediscovered my old Civ II and have been playing around with it but now can't get cheat mode off and don't remember what to do. Every saved game is now in cheat mode and it doesn't seem to work when I delete games or even uninstall the game and reinstall it. Anyone have some advice? Thanks!

Start game and look up at options. "Cheat" is one of them. Toggle it Off.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be that simple. Every new game I begin has cheat mode on after I save the game and reload it. I have deleted all games I have started and uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and same thing happens. Also, after I save a game, little lock icons appear on the bottom left of the file, which I don't recall ever happening before. Hmmm...

Comment

This is an old problem that usually happens to scen develpers.

1. First close any Civ game you may be running.
        2. Then delete the small CIV2.DAT file (not civ2.exe!) from the Civ 2 folder.
        3. Start a new Civ 2 game in 4000 BC, play 1 turn and save.
        4. Check that there is a new CIV2.DAT file in the Civ 2 folder.
        5. Delete the game you just saved.
        6. Start up Civ 2 and load one of the messed up saves. It should be OK.

If that doesn't work, send me the buggered game save and I'll try to fix it through incantations, studying chicken entrails and consulting some highly arcane tomes on hexediting.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Finger trouble!

Sorry, but it's been years since I posted at Poly.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I don't know why, but I can't see the CIV2.DAT or civ2.exe file within the civ2 folder. Are they within another file in the civ2 folder perhaps? I'm not that familiar with this anymore. It's so bizarre that uninstalling and reinstalling will not fix this issue. Thanks

Comment

Sorry to hear about your lack of success.

I’m guessing that you have a Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition (MGE) source CD in your CD drive and that you are playing the game directly from the CD.

The MGE source disk offers two options “PLAY” and “INSTALL” the game. For most players, installing it on your PC offers much greater flexibility in adding various patches and improvements to Civ2.exe such as no CD needed in CD drive, much smaller CPU use, Ely’s Civ2 Unlimited, etc. Unfortunately, your CD has to remain in the CD drive.

Please follow instructions on how to install the game in suitably named folder (X?) in Program Files and create a desktop shortcut to Civ2.exe.

Copy your game saves into X and then use the desktop icon to start the game.

If you open X and view it as a list, Civ2.dat comes right after Civ2.exe. Then follow the procedure I outlined in my previous post.

Comment

Looks like this is a perfect spot to ask. About 3 years ago I had utility or dll file can't remember exactly in what form, which disabled cheat mode completely, I mean "toggle cheat mode" clicking was not available, back then it was little to no use of it, but now it got on my demand list, the worst part is I can't find it on my pc anymore and I can't remember where I got it either. So would you please make my life easy and point me to the right direction, besides I will agree not to crush your puny forum in exchange of this technology in tribute

Comment

nevermind, I figured it out in fancy way.
                  "Consider this discussion complete."

Comment

Now in the past we've thought of the Musketeer slot and Gunpowder, as well as the Knight slot as something to avoid, as it makes all units with weaker stats and the same move point go obsolete.

Here however, I'm thinking of using it as a feature to prevent one civ from building certain units.

My question is how exactly do the mechanics of this work?

Comment

I haven't even played Civ2 in years, but I *think* with the Musketeer, at least, the defense factor is the relevant one; nothing with a lower defense and the same move (and possibly role) can be built if the musketeer slot unit is available--this is why the Legion is obsoleted despite its higher attack. You might experiment with this, since I'm really not confident of this. Generally, it's easier to just play games with prereqs and obsolescence. Or just creating duplicate units. By the by, the CPU will also not build any units with worse A/D stats than another unit with the same role and movement class ("one" or "more than one"), regardless of other concerns. So the PC thinks an 8/1/5 4/4 unit with a bunch of special flags is inferior to a bare-bones 8/2/2 1/1, even if the latter costs three times as much. Kinda dumb.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                      X