Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilisation ll & Mountain Lion

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of getting Civ 2 to run on an Intel Mac running Mountain Lion? Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

There was a workaround that ran on Snow Leopard but it won't run on Mountain Lion. It's called Civ 2 Gold Rel PPC. Apparently, one of the programmers developed it in his spare time and released it. I found it and downloaded it last year and it works pretty well, if prone to crashing. You need the original Civ 2 installed on the computer. I now run Mountain Lion but keep Snow Leopard on the HD just to play the occasional game of Civ 2. I tried looking for Rel PPC while posting this and can't find it anymore.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Wow, that's funny. I stop by here once in a blue moon, and it's 3 days after this post.

Civ 2 Gold Rel PPC disappeared, along with the rest of my "site", when Apple finally pulled the plug on .Mac last year. I'm surprised, but glad, that it continued to run through Snow Leopard.

Getting Civ II to run on Lion or later is pretty much going to be a no-go. The code was developed for PPC only, using tools that no longer exist, and system frameworks that no longer exist. It would take a ground up re-write to get Civ II running on todays OS/hardware.

I bought Civ Revolutions for the iPad, and play that when I need a Civ fix. It's a pretty good substitute.

-Brian

Comment

Hi Brian. The only problems on Snow Leopard are that (1) Auto save doesn't function. You have to back up manually, a necessity given its tendency to crash unexpectedly; and (2) You can't adjust the sliders to change your tax rates. Apart from that, it's great for a hit of the greatest game devised. I'll look into Civ Revolutions.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Every time this comes up I remind people that the best way to ensure that you'll still be able to play Civ2 is VirtualBox with WinXP (or any version of windows that Civ2 will run on). No matter what happens, mac, pc, linux, whatever, you will be able to play civ2.

Comment

My goodness,

The's finbar as well! We just need Hydey now!

Hi finbar!

I have civ 4 running smoothly with Mountain Lion (brilliant OS) but not tried civ2.
            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Hey Deity. I tried Civ 3, hated it. Haven't bothered with any versions since. Fire up the Civ 2 workaround on Snow Leopard when I feel the urge.

Comment

I play civ 2 that is the best.

Comment

Working...
                X