Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEADS UP, EVERYONE . . . . . SAVE IT OR LOSE IT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEADS UP, EVERYONE . . . . . SAVE IT OR LOSE IT!!!

Robert Plomp just posted this on
    http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/192916-Archive-Threads-are-Missing

(my red and bold)

http://settler4.apolyton.net is the 'official' address (civilization4.net is not owned by Apolyton anymore, but not yet redirected away)

It'll stay open for till the end of November, most probably.

We'll try to see if it's possible to migrate the missing content, but it's very hard and we have limited time that we also have to focus on other stuff.
    We're not going to pay much longer for this very expensive server.

If you want to safe stuff that's not on Apolyton, then you may want to save it now.

The attachment database has been moved already to the new server, we just still have to align it with the forum. (so that every link directs to the correct attachment). Because this Db is already on the new server these attachments are getting more and longer attention. But even there it is: if you can save it to your hard drive, do it. Perhaps we'll never be able to sync things.

We're doing this stuff in our free time and we also have a list of things to do for the future of Civilization that's civ5 related. (I'm myself working simultaneously on 3 projects)

Anyone got any bright ideas? I'd hate to lose the Great Library and so many other references.

Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Idea number 1:
    Divide all threads among participants. Everyone downloads their part, then share.
    Idea number 2:
    Everyone downloads their threads and assigned threads of users who no longer post. Then share.
    Last edited by Gelion; October 22, 2010, 05:10.

Comment

Damn, this is bad news. I can trawl through the gfx threads and save, but its going to be difficult to pin down all the scenario release/Beta threads....

I wonder if we could have a whip-round, and take over the cost of the old site from Plomp. Any takers?
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

For that we need to know the estimate of the cost...
        Last edited by Gelion; October 23, 2010, 04:58.

Comment

Exactly which parts of the archives will be lost? I take it the SL site will be ok, right? Can't we transfer vital stuff from the Great Library onto the SL?
          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
          SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
          SL INFORMATION THREAD
          CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

I hope the Scenario League CIV2 tips pages will be saved?
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Guys, can't we just buy back the domain?

Comment

I would happily go on a saving spree in the name of the scenario league, but I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what is at risk. Does this mean that threads in the archive will possibly be lost? Hosted sites??
                Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
                Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
                  Exactly which parts of the archives will be lost? I take it the SL site will be ok, right?
                  Guys, you're more likely to get answers if you direct your questions to Robert Plomp in the original thread that Agricola posted. He says that the hosted sites are safe. The Archives sub-forum is at most risk; in fact, I think it will almost certainly be lost. I suspect that thread attachments will also be lost if Plomp and the phantom owner, Jeroen, are unable to link them to the new database. If you want clarification, ask Plomp. I think I've hammered him enough - in a number of threads.
                  Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Since I'm a mod I got a pm from robert about it. Thing is, I'm not very experienced with vBulletin, BUT if noone else will give it a go I will certainly try to find time to fix it.
                    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

I thought the issue was with the hosted site, I.e. the scenario league Wikipedia and web page, not vbulletin.

Comment

From the pm:
                        Right now SL is still located on the old server, we need to move it to the new one. We prefer it to integrate it completely into vBulletin, instead of hosting it as some kind of different page then the rest.

Do you think it's possible for you guys to move the content pages to the new server as vB pages?
                        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Ha. That's funny. I have thought for some time now that forum integration would be the easiest and most accessible thing to do.

So is he asking that we repost everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                            We are looking into the hosted sites to see how to handle them.
                            Deleting these is not an option. So: no, not in danger.
                            Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                            To all hosted sites owners,

Please contact me in a PM if you want your site to be transferred to the new server. The old server will be closed so everything that won't be transferred will be gone one day.
                            Right now SL is still located on the old server, we need to move it to the new one. We prefer it to integrate it completely into vBulletin, instead of hosting it as some kind of different page then the rest.

Do you think it's possible for you guys to move the content pages to the new server as vB pages?
                            WTF does this mean? Are the hosted sites safe or not safe? Does this mean that if William Keenan doesn't magically reappear out of the blue to reconfigure The Cradle of Civilization for vBulletin, it's toast?

In case there's some kind of monumental **** up, I've downloaded The Cradle of Civilization, The Civilization Scenario Collection and The Spanish Civilization Site using site-mirroring software. It doesn't translate 100%, but it's better than losing the lot.
                            Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Working...
                            X