Keeping units to scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping units to scale

The thought came up while working on an image of a dwarven warrior (with several bits borrowed from better artists than myself).

Does it make a difference (to those who care about graphics) if things are to scale - for instance, destroyers are smaller than battleships, or dwarves shorter than elves and men?

It seems that the general rule is that while big things ought to be big, smaller things don't need to much be smaller - so for instance we see an image of a spearman about as tall as a guy on horseback.

Curious if anyone has paid it more attention.

I would support the creation of an “Unofficial” policy on scaling for the Scenario League.
    Please put Asher on your ignore list.
    Please do not quote Asher.
    He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Seems like it would be useful, particularly when adapting graphics from multiple sources.

Not necessary, but convenient.

Comment

It's pretty difficult to get the scale right because (for example) an aircraft carrier is many time the size of the aircraft it carries but if things were done to scale the aircraft would only consist of a few pixels. Mini Infantry units have been tried in the past with some success though they aren't as easy on the eye as full size units. When you think about trying to get things to a certain scale is a pointless exercise as the units on the map would be thousands of foot tall and there would not be just one of them! I wouldn't get too caught up with scale, they are just representative graphics, imagination fills in the rest!
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
        SL INFORMATION THREAD
        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Yeah, the main thing is when you have - for instance - units drawn to different scales next to each other.

For instance, having a horseman the size of the default Civ 2 knight next to a dwarf the size of those used in Hurin's old Dagor Bragollach scenario (bigger)

Its one thing with say, carriers vs. aircraft, where the scale would render the smaller thing impossibly small or the larger thing too big, but if its too jarring, that doesn't feel right.

Comment

If it's a fantasy scenario like Dagor Bragollach and Lord of the Rings I think scales do very much for the atmosphere of the game. If it's modern military, not so much
            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Don't Dwarf's prefer to be called little people?
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

'Dwarf's' prefer to be called dwarfs. Dwarves are fine with dwarves. I call them something else entirely when I'm fighting them in Battle for Middle-earth 2.
                Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

My grammar goes to pot at 1am after a few beers
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

To quote TV Tropes:

Attack of the 50-Foot Pikeman!
                    The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
                    2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

The units are just meant to be an icon that represents the type of unit.
                      Naturally we know that the pikeman represents a battalion of perhaps hundreds of soldiers.
                      The BB probably represents a single ship. But to show the actual comparison in CIV2 would
                      be totally impossible given the GFX limitations, so it is down to the imagination of the player.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X