No announcement yet.

Display of graphics files on the forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display of graphics files on the forum.

Perhaps it's time to have a discussion with the management about displaying the various graphics files we exchange here at SL. It's a critical piece for us. This was identified to the new owners when they took over the site.

At a minimum, gif and png files should display as part of a post without having to click on them first. That is what we had before. Right now I can't see anything but a red 'x'. Perhaps it's just my monitor setting. What can others see?
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

What was the best practices decision on this one? Didn't Fairline and Catfish designate pngs as being the best format for civ2 graphic sharing? Perhaps that should be the default display and show in post option.

Comment

GIFs, PNGs and JPGs should be displayed, at least as thumbnails. Make them viewable by guests; they still generate ad revenue. BMPs should not be displayed in web pages, full stop. I don't know why people in this forum insist on posting them in the graphics threads. If you must attach a BMP (eg, a ToT game file), compress it (eg, ZIP, RAR, 7Z) first!
      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

I see red xs.
        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

The attachment links from prior to the forum upgrade are dead. That might have something to do with the notice at the top of the forum - which I can't see when I'm logged in:

Note: we have just migrated to a new server. Some of the attachments in our forums have not migrated correctly. We are working to fix this and hope to have them back in the air as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
          So you might have to cut them some slack there.
          Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish View Post
            The attachment links from prior to the forum upgrade are dead. That might have something to do with the notice at the top of the forum - which I can't see when I'm logged in:

So you might have to cut them some slack there.
            I'm happy to cut them some slack, but we should communicate with them, and they with us.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

They've kind of left all of this a bit late, haven't they? What is it - a year-and-a-half since they took over the site? Then, one month before the release of Civ5, they roll out the upgrade. Nearly 3 weeks later, they still have major problems with the forum: registration issues, archives are down, attachments don't work.

Also of concern is the lack of a downloads database, and if Plomp's comments in this thread are any indication, there won't be one. It appears that they intend to rely on Firaxis' Steam server, which will contain select Civ5 mods. Everyone else will have to make do with thread attachments and blogs to promote their work. Good luck with that model. In the meantime, CFC has an established browsable and searchable downloads database, and virtually the entire Civ4 modding community. Civ2 modders at Apolyton have the SL wiki site, but Civ2 isn't going to bring in the traffic.
              Last edited by Catfish; September 10, 2010, 05:07. Reason: bloody typo

Comment

I'll post over at the site news forum asking for GIFs, PNGs and JPGs to be made visible without having to open the files manually. Anything else?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh View Post
                  I'll post over at the site news forum asking for GIFs, PNGs and JPGs to be made visible without having to open the files manually. Anything else?
                  jpeg's are already visable. Problem is, if you post a png it seems to get turned into a jpeg, which is a horribly lossy format; great for high resolution pics where a reduction in resolution isn't noticeable, but useless for the tiny res unit sprites we make.
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I made this post to the Site Update forum. http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...eague-requests It would help if all members could post their support of our requests on this thread. Thanks.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I don't believe people are indifferent to the non-display of units and other graphics, or the loss of years of work by our members. How about a little support here? Thanks.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Erm what? Oblivion? Well, I guess we could put in a few words.

Comment

Working...
                        X