Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germanicus on the Rhine – Creation Thread

Hello,

It has been several years since I last published a scenario, but Civ2 never went far from my mind. Over the years, I’ve dreamt up plenty of scenarios, and now, I am nearly ready to publish one.

I am sure most of you have heard of the three legions slaughtered by Arminius in the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD. It has, after all, been largely popularized as some sort of defining moment in history, a decisive point where the Roman advance across the Rhine was stopped, once and for all.

This, of course, is the wishful thinking of Hollywood and nationalists. The truth is that this disaster was a Roman 9/11, and the Romans would exact a terrible revenge. Some six years later, eight Roman Legions led by the imperial prince, Germanicus, crossed the Rhine and hunted Arminius mercilessly. They won several major battles, killed untold numbers of Germans, burned endless villages, and recovered two of the three eagles captured by Arminius.

When Germanicus was recalled by his adoptive father, Tiberius, he returned to a hero’s welcome in Rome. Arminius, meanwhile, fell into disrepute, as his people, the Cherusci, fled far to the east in a desperate attempt to avoid future Roman reprisals.

Though by today’s standards, Germanicus’ victories would be considered decisive, the Romans would never call them so. Why? Because Arminius remained at large, and was never brought to Rome in chains.

Your job is to change that. In this scenario you will have several objectives:

The capture of all Germanic cities
    The recovery of all three lost eagles
    Arminius: dead or alive.

You will cross the Rhine in force, you will hunt the treacherous Cherusci, Chatti, Marsi, and lesser tribes across vast, dark forests, and you will restore the honor and aura of invincibility to your legions.

You will have eight legions, powerful, unique units, more than capable of defense or destruction, but lose them, and brace: your citizens will tremble in fear, and will be much more likely to panic (revolt).

Your legions will be led by powerful, daring Generals. Initially, Germanicus, and possibly joined by Caecina. Lose them, and you’ll incur province-wide panic.

You will have to fight your way through treacherous terrain against a cunning foe, all the while watching your back, hoping the jealous Emperor won’t stab it. Though the Roman people expect great victories from you, Tiberius will see them as a threat to his throne. Will he act on this?

You will have the authority to exploit the lands you conquer, but rule with an iron fist at the risk of revolt (pollution). If these insurrections get out of hand, you will risk a province-wide rebellion (global warming), thus ending your campaign and losing the game.

Can you do better than Germanicus on the Rhine?

-----

This scenario is currently in the opening stages of playtesting. It needs to be thoroughly balanced and tweaked. That being said, MOST of the MAJOR things that need to be done are aesthetic.

It features wonderful unit art by Fairline, but the terrain could use an upgrade.

Sounds need to be added and checked.

A proper readme needs to be written.

An intro text is required.

A few odds and ends need to be tidied up (a few “relics” from earlier versions hidden/changed in describe and game text, etc).

“Extras” like DLLs are being considered, though I’m not sure I will bother.

-----

Other than that, it is mostly a case of playing it several times both to proofread the code and to ensure it is balanced, playable, and winnable. I'm not crazy about releasing it without it actually looking as pretty as it does in my head, but art is a severe limitation for me, and I believe gameplay trumps graphics (or we wouldn't all still be playing Civ2, now would we?).

In its current state, I’m having a very fun time playing it. I hope to release it in September to celebrate the 2001st anniversary of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, though who ever knows with these things.

I was planning on waiting a while longer to go public with this, but I’m excited and figured the Civ2 community could use another scenario to look forward to. This should also help motivate me to get this thing photo ready!

In other news… How’ve you all been?
    John Petroski
    PetroskiJP@hotmail.com

Glad your finally going public with this project John, I think its going to be an instant classic. The community certainly needs a lift, 2010 has been pretty quiet but with a scenario of this quality on the horizon the Civ2 Scenario League is still rolling on!
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Well, I think you're being overgenerous with your compliments, but thank you for them, anyway, McMonkey

2010 might not be as hectic as 2000, but there are quality scenarios being built by many hands, old and new alike, and I think it's a testament to the game's designers that they got Civ2 wonderfully right.

-----

Germanicus on the Rhine (for ToT by the way) is 53 turns, and Agricola, as expected, managed to beat it in 33. I've made a few modifications to make his tactics less 100% guaranteed rinse and repeat, so I think I'm pretty close to finding a good balance for the average player.

If the player needs a few restarts to get the hang of it, has trouble at first, but feels like they accomplished something by beating it, I'll have done all I could hope for. If they pick it up again a year or two down the road, well, that's even better
      John Petroski
      PetroskiJP@hotmail.com

Comment

It's been a while since someone came up with a scenario like this. (Well, McMonkey's Aeternas Civitas series might qualify, but still, scenarios set in the Imperial Roman age (as opposed to the Republican and/or Fall of the West eras) do seem rare, IIRC.

I'll be looking forward to playing this one.
        The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
        2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

That's a fantastic idea for a scenario
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by JPetroski View Post
            Germanicus on the Rhine (for ToT by the way) is 53 turns, and Agricola, as expected, managed to beat it in 33.

Unfortunately, your comment describes only part of what happened, the unvarnished truth is somewhat different. The following is an extract from an e-mail, complete with saved games, that I sent a few days after starting the playtest.

Exhibit A (Turn 5, winter) is the end of a first, abortive try at Germanicus. There I was, in the German forest with the whole semi-immobilized bloomin' army, surrounded by mad barbs, unable to do anything useful, aware that the time-distance graph of my progress in the scen was crappola and no brilliant solution anywhere in sight. Time to pull the plug, re-examine the scen parameters, and eat a lot of crow.

Exhibit B ( start of Turn 17, summer) is both a progress report and . . . . .

Germanicus is indeed a mean sucker of a scen. Very well done!

P.S. Crow tastes awful.
            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by Case View Post
              That's a fantastic idea for a scenario
              Case sighting!
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

The spamed PMs brought me out of the woodwork

I haven't played Civ2 for a couple of years, but I am addicted to Rome Total War at the moment.
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I really enjoyed the Rome Total Realism mod available on the Total War forum site and also their Iberian War campaign. Its a shame they never finished RTR7 as it would have been awesome!
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD
                  CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

original, excellent!
                    Best compliments to JPetroski
                    "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

It's very good notice.
                      Saludos,
                      Petit

Comment

Look forward to see this one released!

So many projects seem to be alive!

Comment

Am looking forward for this, too. Your scenarios were always high quality!

Comment

I had an old board game years ago that had a scenario like this, called 'Caesar's legions'.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Time for an update...

Figured I'd better pop in here to say that Germanicus on the Rhine is not dead...

In fact, it's very close to completion. At this stage, I'm happy with the playtest balance and could release it now I'm just working on the finishing touches, which are mostly aesthetic or sounds.

Now the issue becomes when I release it... Where do I release it? Who do I give it to?
                              John Petroski
                              PetroskiJP@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X